Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Music Did You Grow Up With?

CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça
    *CrumbCat revives topic for the new members of Musicworld.....

So, tell us what you grew up with...

2. Music   -   #22
    BANNED
    Umm my grand father was a major music fanatic.He never watched tv at all,just music,music,music.I think after he got slightly cheesed with collecting he start trading audio tapes n music with blind peeps around the world for about 30 yrs.His fav was country western,artist mario lanza.I suppose i inherited it ,because i'm almost idential in most besides the sharing with the blind.I still have a good chunk of his collection too.So the majority of listening growing up was country with a bit of marilion ,fish ,guns n roses,rush gillan etc

3. Music   -   #23
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    zeppelin, deep purple, hendrix, the doors, the beatles, jim croche, gordon lightfoot

just to name a few

(my parents were hippies )

later they got into country :x
    so then i got into 80's metal

-edit- forgot, a lot of mowtown too, and growin up in so. cal, some latin freestyle,
    some old school and shit like that
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

4. Music   -   #24
    Poster
    well im still not that old , but my parents heard a lot of classical music , but my sister and brother gave me all their cds when they went to college , i was 10 or 9 , so i grew up with:

the doors
    janis joplin
    the beatles
    bob dylan
    rage agianst the machine
    NIN
    guns n roses
    bob marley
    U2
    aerosmith

5. Music   -   #25
    Lilmiss's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    I was lucky to have so many influences when I was growing up.

My Pa loved;
    Bruce Springstein
    The Who
    Dexys Midnight Runners
    The Jam
    The Chilites
    In fact, he loved anything Motown, soul.

My ma was into;
    Squeeze
    Van Morrison
    Bob Dylan
    She loves Northen soul, rock and punk.
    My mum has the best taste in music, she actually introduced me to Nirvana, and Aerosmith! I lurve her to bits.

I lived with my Gran and Grandad till I was about 7yr old.
    They generally listened to Irish music, and stuff I'd rather forget.
    (yes, Des 'o Conner, I hate you&#33

My two uncles lived with us too.
    They played loadsa good stuff like;
    The Clash
    Bob Marley
    Deep Purple
    Jimi Hendrix
    Every time I think of back then, I think of "Land Down Under - Men At Work".

My other uncle introduced me to;
    Guns and Roses
    Metallica
    Ramones
    Sex Pistols
    Janis Joplin

My Stepmum used to play a lot of classical, opera, and country.
    Garth Brooks still makes me cringe. :helpsmile:

Even as a kid, I didn't watch that much T.V. Instead I would play my walkman, or tinker with my beloved vinal player.
    Last edited by Alien5; Today at 12:51

6. Music   -   #26

I'm listening to T. Rex while writing this, so I guess this might date me (a little).
    My folks were not musically fluent, so I self discovered. I grew up in L.A., so there was good radio to play.

Young Girl - The Beatles, I loved Paul. I got one of those cheap phonographs and would play Rubber Soul over and over (wore it out).

Pre-Pub - A friend said "come over and listen to this"; It was Jimmy Hendrix. Wow! I loved it then and I still love it. Then along came Cream, Tommy James and the shondells. Sgt. Pepper was a mind blower. The Doors

I would spend hours at the record store agonizing what album to buy with my meager allowance. I remember staring at the new Santana - Abraxys (sp) album with that beautiful naked woman on the front - very cheeky! That album was banned by the parents of my friends, but of course we listened to anyway.

High School - Led Zepplin! I bow down to LZ. I am a Led Zepplen abuser. I think I like all music except for Country.

7. Music   -   #27
    I had no influences. NONE. I cared for no sibling or parental musical guidance.
    I wandered in the musical wilderness until I was 13, a friend turned to me at the ripe young age of 14, handed me a metallica tape and I haven't looked back since

8. Music   -   #28
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Until Arm was around 14 he just listened to my moms classic rock I heard playing on the radio. All the crap from the 70s, 80s and some from the 60s. The stuff wasent bad but it wasent enough for me.

I started downloading music videos made from the FMV footage(Final Fantasy #1, Resident Evil #2 and Metal Gear Solid #3 ) from my games for some damn reason and they had good songs so that influenced me. The songs were the typical pop-rock shit. Linkin Park, Creed, Offspring were the biggest 3. Anyway this went on until Arm found another music video. A quite special one indeed.

It be a 10 minute long(and half-ass edited) video containing a 10 minute epic Stratovarius song called Destiny. The song kicked ass so I downloaded more Stratovarius then went to metal sites and learned about new metal bands. Expecially mp3.com before it closed down. B) Then I read up on metal more and found some new bands to discover and it went on and on.

Most of the bands I listened to were either power or progressive metal. Then I went and downloaded a Metallica song called For Whom the Bell Tolls, who someone recommended it. Arm loved it so that fueled my thrash metal craze. My brothers music, although I don't like most of his music, I am quite fond of Slayer.

I must thank all the people over the internet for helping me fuel my love for metal. Everyone who makes the web sites and recommended me to download a song.

And The Story Ends. :music1:

9. Music   -   #29
    CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça
    Bumped for the newer members...

10. Music   -   #30
    Celerystalksme's Avatar This Is My Clone BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Originally posted by CrumbCat@9 August 2004 - 21:40
    Bumped for the newer members...
    ahhhh a flashback from the glory days of musicworld...these were great times...i actually remember this thread quite well...which is an achievement seeing i was drunk 24/7 during that time

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast