Thread: Slow FTP & bitorrent speeds from seedbox

Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Hola, I'm a semi-proud owner of an OVH seebox and I was wondering why the heck can are my speeds so slow when I FTP or bittorrent files to my home pc from it? I have no problems downloading and uploading from it when it comes to trackers getting up to 9mb/s up from it .Why is it so horrible when i FTP from it? I have a tzulo box as well and it's speeds are nearly twice as fast as my ovh server even though it seeds twice as slow.

What can i do to achieve faster speeds from my seedbox to my home PC?

Thanks!

EDIT: My download my lines max download speed is 512 kb/s , the files range to as large as an hd-rip to a 14 mb rar file.
    Last edited by Sanka113; 05-23-2008 at 08:43 AM.
    See ya in another life, brother.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Raban's Avatar Poaster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    yes i have an OVH box and i have experienced this as well...

my solution was to write a simple threaded FTP script which transfers simultaneously over 5 connections to my home FTP server...

i had to write it cause i'm not aware of any FTP client which will do automated multi-threaded transfers for linux ...

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    n0_NaMe's Avatar Utorrent FTW! BT Rep: +4
    I have a ovh box as well and I can easily max out my home connection using 3d-ftp which has multi threaded transfers. I have tried filezilla, cuteftp pro, flashfxp and none of the speeds even came close to what I get from 3d-ftp. Although 3d-ftp may not like as nice as the others, it certainly does the job very well.
    Last edited by n0_NaMe; 05-23-2008 at 09:21 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    No idea how horrible is, but if your DL home line is only 512KB/s, then how fast can it really be? I grab things at 200KB-1MB on mine. How bad is the speed? Are you much further away geographically?

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by dunson View Post
    No idea how horrible is, but if your DL home line is only 512KB/s, then how fast can it really be? I grab things at 200KB-1MB on mine. How bad is the speed? Are you much further away geographically?
    My download line downloads at 500 kilobytes per second. I'm downloading from my OVH server at around 50-100 kilobytes a second at best. I'm based in the US so the distance may be an issue as my tzulo server ,which is based in the midwest) can download from at around 300 kilobytes per second.

Quote Originally Posted by n0_NaMe View Post
    I have a ovh box as well and I can easily max out my home connection using 3d-ftp which has multi threaded transfers. I have tried filezilla, cuteftp pro, flashfxp and none of the speeds even came close to what I get from 3d-ftp. Although 3d-ftp may not like as nice as the others, it certainly does the job very well.
    Thanks man, i'll make sure to check this out!

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Raban's Avatar Poaster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    ya i found a copy of this 3d-ftp program... it was uploaded on usenet 54 days ago if you have a server with retention back that far.

anyways... it seems like a program from last century ... also it doesn't seem to support AUTH/TLS for encrypted login...

maybe i'm paranoid but i don't like sending my passwords as plaintext to the box... i don't encrypt the data channel ... but the idea of authenticating without encryption seems kinda sketchy.. . ..

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanka113 View Post
    My download line downloads at 500 kilobytes per second. I'm downloading from my OVH server at around 50-100 kilobytes a second at best. I'm based in the US so the distance may be an issue as my tzulo server ,which is based in the midwest) can download from at around 300 kilobytes per second.
    I bet that is the main issue. I get much better speeds from my US server than the one in EU. I mean, your box is certainly capable of maxing out your line, but it doesn't have a great connection to your home pc.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    if u have a EU box and a US home connection your going to get bad speeds cuz of the distance and also you have to open multiple flashfxp clients if u want to max your internet speed out. Also i think you only get as fast as your upload speed from ftp, but i could be wrong. Your best bet might be to make a torrent using an open tracker such as ...

http://www.sumotracker.com/announce

Open utorrent, use that as your announce address, make the torrent using your ovh box and then email yourself the .torrent when your done. Then open the .torrent file in your home utorrent and now your ultimately downloading from your seedbox and you get max download speed. Also no one can get on the torrent cuz no one but you has the .torrent file.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    RedRansom's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    maybe your server friend limited yor ftp speed

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    I downloaded 3dftp and I'm getting speeds that max out my connection now.

On a sidenote I think the pipeline that connects me to my server probably sucks due to the fact that SLA isn't guaranteed outside of the places that they sell too. They must limit their outgoing service range so that they don't have to allocate resources away from their main service area.

Now I know why OVH doesn't sell to US residents.

Thanks for your help guys!