Thread: This Is The Mother Of Performance Tweaks For And

This is the Mother of Performance tweaks for and all games Must read!!!!

I was just messing around with Windows and decided to change a few settings and these setting made every game I play: Planeside, Quake 3, Delta Force: BHD, and others all play very fast. What I mean by very fast is I used to have the settings of the game on low and the resolution on low and now I can set all settings to max and raise the resolution and it fly without any hitching or major FPS drops!!!!! To achieve this feature I realized that I only had 512mb of ram so I read about what the Windows swap file dose. Then I realized the higher I set the higher I could have setting in game set! I have 512mb of ram and the recommended setting for the Windows swap file is 1.5 – 2 times the amount of ram you have but if you set it to a Higher amount it will use up all of your ram and use the amount of space specified on your hard drive as Virtual ram!!!!!!! Here are the settings that I believe will work and make your computer use about 2gb’s of space as ram which makes the games think you have X amount of ram!

This setting has only been tested on machines running Windows XP but should work on all Windows OS’s.

To access the page where you can change the size of the Windows swap file click on start, then Control Panel, then double click on System, the click on the forth tab over on the top labeled Advanced, then under Performance click on the Settings button, now click on the tab advanced, then at the bottom is should say Virtual Memory click on the Change button, Now select which drive you want the 2GB swap file to be on, and under paging file size for selected drive click the Custom size Dot, Then where it says

Initial size (MB): type in 2048
    Maximum size (MB): type in 2048

Then click the Set button and click the OK button will your back to your desktop. After you have changed this setting you may be prompted to restart you computer for the settings to take effect do so. If you were not prompted to restart do so anyways. Now go play some games. This setting for me made all my games play with Higher FPS (Frames Per Second) with texture settings set to max! The games I noticed that had a significant Increase in Peformance were Delta Force: BHD, Quake 3, Medal of Honor, Unreal Tournament 2003, Planeside, Battlefield 1942, GTA: VC , Vietcong, NFS: HP2 RTCW, MotoGP2. Even the shuttering in Morrowwind stopped! These games listed are the only ones I have tried but all games should get the performance increase.

This setting should cause no problems or loss in performance if it dose contact me at [email protected] I hope this solves all problems with games shuttering and slowdowns.

2. Games   -   #2
    Poster
    Using the swap file is not a good thing. You get a lot of disk thrashing as your system reads and write from your drive, which almost always causes your system to slow down (unless, for some god-awful reason, your drive transfer rate is faster than your RAM speed, or your video card ).

I have 512MB of Corsair XMS PC2700 (DDR333) RAM, and a 768MB swap file... PlanetSide still drops to 20-30 FPS in a decent sized battle, and the game actually halts for a second when you first leave the spawn chamber at your Sanctuary.

Inflating your swap file isn't the answer here.

3. Games   -   #3
    Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd@14 August 2003 - 10:07
    Inflating your swap file isn't the answer here.
    i agree
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Games   -   #4
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    the 1.5x - 2x rule works for any system with less than 512mb, 512 is alot of ram so you won&#39;t need a very big swap file
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

5. Games   -   #5
    Does anyone know what the original setting is?I want the defualt setting back.I only know that inital size for my computer is 670 mb. but dont know the max default size not the 2048 but the one before.Thank You very Much.

6. Games   -   #6
    A good rule for swap file size is to have it about twice your ram but not to exceed 512mb.

7. Games   -   #7
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    Originally posted by note235@15 August 2003 - 05:54
    Does anyone know what the original setting is?I want the defualt setting back.I only know that inital size for my computer is 670 mb. but dont know the max default size not the 2048 but the one before.Thank You very Much.
    the default is "let windows specify", but before you tinker with it the manual values are &#39;0&#39; and &#39;no maximum&#39;
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants