Thread: Maya Or 3d Studio Max?

I've been interested in trying some 3d modelling/animation. I've been wanting to for awhile, but couldn't because these programs cost SO much. Anyway, never thought of downloading (DUH&#33. So, I got 3D studio Max, but am totally confused. Is Maya any easier for beginners?

If one is not easier than the other, where can I go to learn some basics for free. I've tried a number of tutorials, but I find when I finish I have a nice looking apple, let's say, but don't understand how I got there (ie. the tutorials tell you where to click, but not why you're clicking there).

thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    There's another one you could try that I found a bit easier. Lightwave 7

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Maya is harder to use and get use to using then 3ds Max. However, Maya is the better program. 3ds Max is still a really good app and is a lot easier to use and work with then Maya. I dunno, but 3ds Max's interface and workflow just make more sense to me then Maya. As for Lightwave, you will either love it or hate it. I found the way it works is just too weird and bothersome to try to use but if you like how it works, its pretty good for beginners and has really good animating tools. So my suggestion, just try them all out and see which one you like the best.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    L0rD_S0tH's Avatar Poster
    3DBuzz has VTM's (Video Training Modules) with lessons on a variety of 3D software. I have found it to be very useful. They have VTMs for 3ds max, XSI, Maya, Houdini, & lightwave to name a few. You gotta register to downlaod, but it's free. Also if you participate in their forums you get download priority. I think it's a pretty good system, and quite informative for the casual user.

Heres the website:

3D Buzz

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ya, those VTM are incredibly helpful.