Thread: Ip Tracing Programs

I asked this on one of my other posts but for some reason it didn't recognize the new post and is stuck on page two. So does anybody know of a good IP tracing program so I can see if the IP's I'm blocking are who they say they are. Thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Retired
    Originally posted by Gooch2k@13 August 2003 - 17:28
    I asked this on one of my other posts but for some reason it didn't recognize the new post and is stuck on page two. So does anybody know of a good IP tracing program so I can see if the IP's I'm blocking are who they say they are. Thanks.
    http://www.tialsoft.com/

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    you can do it online at http://network-tools.com/

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thanks guys. I've tracked down the IP's and some are in America and some are in Amsterdam. I take it that the last IP address on the list is the one I want isn't it? I'm pretty new to this IP tracing (in fact I've only been doing it since you guys replied). Is there any way to make 100% sure of what these IP's are because most of them don't really tell you what they are fully.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Any one know of any anti - spoof software ... to find the real ips of those using spoofers ... something like a trace buster in software mode.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Many a times, the ips are spoofed. So the one it is showing might not be the real one.

Any one know of any anti - spoof software ... to find the real ips of those using spoofers ... something like a trace buster in software mode.

Also Once u've got the ip u cld use a software called "Sam Spade". This has a host of utilities to get more info abt the ip etc.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Some things you guys are asking are just impossible, like linking a specific IP to a geographic location. Most of the time these visual tracers are right but not always! The visual tracers rely on a database to link IPs to locations but the Internet is a constantly changing network (nodes go online and offline, packets take different routes), which means a static database, even when updated is not 100% reliable.

There is also no way to track down spoofed IP adresses, at least not for you guys. If someone wrote a letter but did not write the return address on the envolope how can you possibly find out where it came from?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    nothings impossible theses days...just because u dont no how it could be done doesnt meant that it cant...keep an open mind

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Gooch2k@13 August 2003 - 09:28
    You could always use the "tracert" command (traceroute)

Btw MadDog-2000

Thats not always true. The best way to spoof an ip is not to use an ip that doesnt exist but to use an ip that does exist. Using an ip that doesnt exist is only best for syn flood attacks where the packets are sent but the return address on the header is either dead or non-existant and casues the target host to keep sending an ack back but getting no reply which makes the server refuse any other connections until that request is completeted.

To spoof your ip in order to hide the origin of it would have to be done with a valid network address, just not yours, in order to even communicate with the remote host the packets have to be able to be sent and received, thus, a dead ip wouldnt be capable of doing that.

For more on networking and other types of topology ----->>http://cisco.netacad.net/public/