Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aol Broadband

Usually, when you switch off of AOL or MSN you'll be supprised by the difference... There is no big fancy program to run. AOL has an instant messaging program that can be substituted by AIM (AOL instant messanger). Speed will also be an increase. You might not actually see the speed increase, but there most likely will be. Local ISPs vs major ISPs can't really be compared and contrasted, since there's a huge difference from one local ISP to the next (same with major ISPs). One thing about going local is that they have generally more help around for you. AOL is not good though, the only reason you would have it is for convience. I stand firm on that subject. You have to be aware also of any price differences, and hidden charges, of course.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    I would set it up to get rid of AOL and getting a ISP worth a crap...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    AOL does not offer broadband access

They provide content only.

This means you are probably paying more that necessary for access to the internet as AOL is subcontracting the actual broadband connection.

It's just plain stupid to pay a middleman for your internet connection.

Get rid of it, save some money, and use a true broadband provider.

If you continue to use AOL broadband I have no choice but to think you are an idiot.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Currently I am paying £27.99 a month for aol and I got the modem for free. My average download speed with kazaa is 50kbs. If i can increase my speed and get a better service provider I will do that. What service provider would be the best. Any recommendations like pipex or something else!

Cheers

Skillz

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Ex-member
    http://www.eclipse.net.uk

ADSL service ("ADSL Connect 500 Lite")
    For 512k down / 256k up: £23.99 a month (inc. vat) (this translates as max. 64kBs download speed)

Information on why you should switch to eclispe.net

Details of services provided

Details of pricing

Only problem is that you have to buy your own hardware.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    lynx's Avatar .
    http://www.pipex.co.uk

Xtreme Solo2Go if you need the hardware
    £23.44 (inc vat) per month
    £17.57 (inc vat) one off for the hardware.

Xtreme Solo if you've got the hardware.
    £23.44 (inc vat) per month

Monthly contracts, but with a £58.75 cancellation fee if you cancel within first 12 months (only applies if first connection to broadband).

Watch out for any cancellation charges and notice period from AOL if you haven't been with them long.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    aol broadband is using your bt line so why not go direct to bt thats what i did but you only get connection no email no content
    you say you get 50kb/s thats about right for 512k connection so i wouldnt worry about your speed i get around 52kb/s with bt but it occasionally gets to 60kb/s

you only save £1 per month going direct to bt and is paid with your phone bill quarterly

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Yeah sometimes I get 60kbs as well with aol. At the moment I have a contract for 12 months and I am going to leave the Uk next year so I am not so much worried about aol using spyware or changing my ISP. I just wanted some help on settings for kazaa for my downloads and I thought somebody would be able to help me. I have already read most of the FAQs and applied some settings!

Thanks for all the replies!

Much Appreciated!

Skillz

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    get NTL there the best dont give a shit what you do online and you dont have any major problems with them. plus there cheap!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    [get NTL there the best dont give a shit what you do online and you dont have any major problems with them. plus there cheap!]

if you in a cabled area then yeh ntl great, packages starting from £14.99 for a 128k upto £34.99 for 1mb connection( thats what i got ), the fastest ive dl'd was 160kbps and average 130 to 140 kbps if plenty of sources. the ONLY downside is ntl limit you to 1gb a day which seems alot but it not even a couple of good films! and also it runs thru the cable tv box which are known for heat problems when pushing internet and can lock up. you can get round the 1gb limit by just disconnecting the power from box for 20secs or so and restarting, it seems to reset the limit! if you not cabled you might as well get BTopenworld coz thats basically what you got already and give aol the boot!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast