Thread: Caulking A Toilet

gee, i really didn't kow where to put this. well, hardware kinda made sense, because it's home hardware and not cpu hardware...whatever. sorry, everybody. te old klite forum had a general support section for stuff like this.

i'm recaulking a toilet in my house and i'm removing the old caulk with no problem. however, the caulk is layered on and below those layers, there seems to be a cement-like material. i'm not sure whether this stuff is REALLY old caulk or it's a barrier on the bottom of the toilet that's not supposed to come off. thing is, it comes off with some elbow grease (it cracks) so i'm not sure what to do.

i hope somebody in this forum is a homeowner and has gone thourhg things like this before. and again, i'm sorry for posting this here. i didn't know where else to go. thanks.

oh, and don't flame me, please. there's no point.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Originally posted by lunchmeat@14 August 2003 - 10:53
    below those layers, there seems to be a cement-like material.
    it's probably grout?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    thanks. actually, that makes a lot of sense. should i take it out? it's really difficult to get the caulk out without getting rid of that stuff as well. it's a pretty thin layer, so i might as well.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    neevakee's Avatar the bad spelller BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    although i can not help you on this. I wanted to say the toliet is a very important piece of hardware

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by lunchmeat@14 August 2003 - 11:04
    thanks. actually, that makes a lot of sense. should i take it out? it's really difficult to get the caulk out without getting rid of that stuff as well. it's a pretty thin layer, so i might as well.
    no idea. *shrug*

i just guessed that if there's anything hard lining your tiles and fixtures, it's prolly grout.

if you're going to remove the grout, you should prolly replace it with a new layer of grout though. i'm sure it's there for a reason (i.e. it's stronger than caulk-- but it's kinda ugly and it stains easily so they cover it up with caulk).

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    alright. thanks, guys. i think i'm gonna just take it out. nevakee, i agree with you there. very important.
    and thanks for not flaming me. i actually expected a lot of members to write stuff like "you're gay wtf is a toilet" and "1 4r3 $0 1334!" and "you're in the wrong forum, you bastard!". you know, stuff. butyeah, pleasant surprise to find that there are mature forum members. thanks everyone.