Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Tell If The Riaa Wants You

CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça
    Has anyone tried this?

Just wondering if it works.

How to Tell if the RIAA Wants You
    Wired News Report
    02:00 AM Jul. 26, 2003 PT

File sharers can check a new online database to see if they are wanted by the recording industry.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation has created a site where users can plug in their file-sharing user names. That name is checked against the list of those subpoenas filed in the Washington, D.C., district court.

The group, which is gleaning its information from the publicly available Pacer database, said it will be an important resource for those who are concerned that the recording industry might be seeking their identities.

"The recording industry continues its futile crusade to sue thousands of the over 60 million people who use file-sharing software in the U.S.," Fred Von Lohmann, senior attorney with the EFF, said in a statement. "We hope that the EFF's subpoena database will give people some peace of mind and the information they need to challenge the subpoenas and protect their privacy."

The EFF said the database includes 125 subpoenas issued through July 8. The group will update the tool as the records become available.

If a user name is located in the database, this does not confirm that the Recording Industry Association of America has issued a subpoena against that person, since user names on file-sharing sites are sometimes shared by multiple individuals.

But if a person's user name is in the database, the EFF site provides a link to a PDF file of the actual subpoena, which includes the name of the ISP, a list of representative songs pirated and the IP address of the user.

For those who have been subpoenaed by the RIAA, a list of attorneys and other legal resources are available at the Subpoena Defense Alliance website, a joint effort between the EFF and the U.S. Internet Industry Association. .

Under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998, Internet service providers are required to hand over the names of their subscribers if a copyright owner believes their copyright has been infringed.

The RIAA subpoenaed Verizon for the names of two of its subscribers last year. Verizon refused to comply and challenged the music trade group in court. In May, a Washington, D.C., district court ruled that Verizon must turn over the names of two of its subscribers suspected of illegally sharing copyright files. Verizon is appealing the decision.

In the meantime, the recording industry announced it would aggressively pursue lawsuits against file traders who offer a substantial amount of music files to others on peer-to-peer networks.

The music trade group has sent out 871 subpoenas so far, according to the Associated Press. Officials from the RIAA said they would begin filing lawsuitsagainst alleged file traders at the end of August.
    The above can be found HERE.

2. Music   -   #2
    Celerystalksme's Avatar This Is My Clone BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I just tried it and they ain't after me yet

expects a knock on the door in the next few minutes

3. Music   -   #3
    From Google Answers:

Check out the Electronic Frontier Foundation's guidelines on this subject at the following url:

EFF: How Not To Get Sued By The RIAA For File-Sharing
    https://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/howto-notgetsued.php

One important comment from the above article is that the RIAA seems to
    be targetting those P2P users who are acting as supernodes. The
    following is the EFF's suggestions on how to check to see if you're
    doing this or not:

"The RIAA appears to be targeting subpoenas at users who allow their
    computers to be "Supernodes" on the FastTrack P2P System (used, for
    instance, by KaZaA and Morpheus). In order to further reduce the risk
    of having your ISP subpoenaed or of being sued yourself, we recommend
    that you make sure your computer is not being used as a Supernode. To
    learn more about Supernodes and how to make sure your computer is not
    one, look here: http://www.whtvcable.com/fasttrack and
    http://helpdesk.princeton.edu/kb/display.plx?ID=9245. See also
    Disabling the Supernode function with KaZaA (PDF 331k)."

4. Music   -   #4
    merlin-1's Avatar Poster
    They are'nt after me yet either! ^_^

5. Music   -   #5
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Whew me either

6. Music   -   #6
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    how do you knwo that isnt the RIAA site?? if I was smart enboiugh I would create my own site if it was teh RIAA secretly and get ppl who are dumb enough to put their IP address in there

7. Music   -   #7
    Originally posted by Hogster@14 August 2003 - 23:13
    how do you knwo that isnt the RIAA site?? if I was smart enboiugh I would create my own site if it was teh RIAA secretly and get ppl who are dumb enough to put their IP address in there
    That's absurd, the Electronic Frontier Foundation is a well established organization that protects peoples rights pretaining to digital media. And entering your IP in doesn't break any laws, what could the RIAA possibly do with them? Between this and your comments about how possitive you are the RIAA isn't putting out fake files I can't help but wonder where you're getting all this information.

I also already posted this a week ago here but I guess it's best that more people know about this.

8. Music   -   #8
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    I dont trust that site.....

9. Music   -   #9
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    That's absurd, the Electronic Frontier Foundation is a well established organization that protects peoples rights pretaining to digital media. And entering your IP in doesn't break any laws, what could the RIAA possibly do with them? Between this and your comments about how possitive you are the RIAA isn't putting out fake files I can't help but wonder where you're getting all this information.

I also already posted this a week ago here but I guess it's best that more people know about this.
    hey man don't take me seriously I was joking about it being an RIAA site

but what I was sayin gwas if I was the RIAA I would do somethin gsmart and make my own P2P application and a fake site like that to trick ppl there jsut too dumb

btw Im safe that good old dynamic IP

10. Music   -   #10
    Originally posted by mynamehere+14 August 2003 - 20:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mynamehere &#064; 14 August 2003 - 20:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Hogster@14 August 2003 - 23:13
    That&#39;s absurd, the Electronic Frontier Foundation is a well established organization that protects peoples rights pretaining to digital media. And entering your IP in doesn&#39;t break any laws, what could the RIAA possibly do with them? Between this and your comments about how possitive you are the RIAA isn&#39;t putting out fake files I can&#39;t help but wonder where you&#39;re getting all this information.

I also already posted this a week ago here but I guess it&#39;s best that more people know about this.[/b][/quote]
    Hey mynamehere - Sorry I missed your post from last week. I just found this info. today and posted it immediately.

Now it&#39;s in two places, so that&#39;s cool.

BTW - excellent point about the Electronic Frontier Foundation being a well established organization that protects peoples rights pertaining to digital media.

Tchau&#33;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast