Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Global Warming

Ron's Avatar Poster
    Hang on,....
    Doesn't water expand when it freezes?
    So an icecube melting in a glass of water should make the level drop, not stay the same, right?
    Or wrong....?

2. Lounge   -   #22
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Ron@15 August 2003 - 02:59
    Hang on,....
    So an icecube melting in a glass of water should make the level drop, not stay the same, right?
    Or wrong....?
    I think you are wrong,..... not that it surprises me....

3. Lounge   -   #23
    On the other hand due to evaporation the level could be less

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    Just because I don't know much about frozen products, doesn't mean I'm a complete idiot, my dear.
    Ask me a cucumber question, I dare you!!!

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    Seriously though, we had a swimming pool at home when I was young, and in winter it froze up sometimes. The water level would be higher then.......

On the other hand, we might be talking about two different things here.
    I was talking about an icecubes in a glass. They don't or barely surface. Therefore, the level has to drop,....I think.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Originally posted by Ron@15 August 2003 - 03:12
    Just because I don't know much about frozen products, doesn't mean I'm a complete idiot, my dear.
    Ask me a cucumber question, I dare you!!!
    Ok a cucumber question,

If you put a frozen cucumber in a glass of water, what would happen to the level of the water when the cucumber was back at room temperature?

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Originally posted by Ron@15 August 2003 - 03:16
    Seriously though, we had a swimming pool at home when I was young, and in winter it froze up sometimes. The water level would be higher then.......

On the other hand, we might be talking about two different things here.
    I was talking about an icecubes in a glass. They don't or barely surface. Therefore, the level has to drop,....I think.
    The level of the water would remain the same. Archimedes principle. You know Archimedes, he sat in a tub of water witha frozen cucumber in it. He screamed Ureka and ran down the street naked with a frozen cucumber hanging out of his......

8. Lounge   -   #28
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Ron@15 August 2003 - 01:59
    Hang on,....
    Or wrong....?
    Fill a glass which can hold exactly 200 cl of water. The water weighs 200g.
    Remove 10g (volume 10cl) and freeze into an ice cube. The water will expand as it freezes and will occupy approximately 10.5 cl, but it will still weigh 10g.
    Now put this ice cube back into the glass. The ice cube will displace 10g of water (archimedes principle) which is 10cl, the amount you took out in the first place, so the water level will come back to the top of the glass, but there will be approximately 0.5cl of ice above the top of the glass.
    Obviously, when the ice melts it returns to the original state, 200cl of water in total.

Now do the same with salt water. But when you remove 10g, the volume will only be about 9.75cl. Now instead of freezing this salt water, freeze 10g of fresh water. The unfrozen volume is 10cl. Put the fresh water ice cube into the salt water and it will again displace 10g, so the water level will again come back to the top. But this time, when the ice melts you end up with 190.25cl of salt water plus 10cl of fresh water = 200.25cl, so the glass overflows.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    @ lynx: DUH!!!
    Crystal clear explanation! Why didn't you become a teacher? You'd be good at it.

@ Neil: DUH! too. The level would stay the same of course.
    But what do you think would happen to the waterlevel if I put you and the cucumber in a bathtub, and stuck the vegetable where the sun doesn't shine?

10. Lounge   -   #30
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Ron@15 August 2003 - 02:41
    @ Neil: DUH! too. The level would stay the same of course.
    But what do you think would happen to the waterlevel if I put you and the cucumber in a bathtub, and stuck the vegetable where the sun doesn't shine?
    I think you mean Nigel.

And don't encourage him, he'd only want ketchup on that cucumber.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast