Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: G.o.d (((((((((athiest))))))))))

Aberrant
    Originally posted by hobbes@16 August 2003 - 20:00
    How can one be right and thousands of others wrong?
    Virtually all the ancient Greeks and Romans believed there were many gods.

Does that mean they were right?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #62
    Originally posted by titey+17 August 2003 - 02:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (titey &#064; 17 August 2003 - 02:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-hobbes@16 August 2003 - 20:00
    How can one be right and thousands of others wrong?
    Virtually all the ancient Greeks and Romans believed there were many gods.

Does that mean they were right? [/b][/quote]
    A religion is a "belief system" and any particular religion can have as many Gods as it wants.

So, how can "one religion" be correct, and the others incorrect.

And "yes", the ancient Greeks and Roman were "spot on". My parents Gaea and Cronos told me so.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #63
    Poster
    Originally posted by hobbes@17 August 2003 - 04:00
    Atheism is a faith of disbelief.
    Atheism is not a faith of anything. It&#39;s the absence of faith in the existence of gods.

Without proof, you aver that God does not exist. How can one deny (to declare untrue) the existence of God without proof?
    The burden of proof is on the one making the positive assertion (such as "gods exist"). It&#39;s not necessary to disprove something that hasn&#39;t been proven in the first place.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #64
    Aberrant
    Originally posted by hobbes@16 August 2003 - 21:03
    A religion is a "belief system" and any particular religion can have as many Gods as it wants.

And "yes", the ancient Greeks and Roman were "spot on". My parents Gaea and Cronos told me so.
    Religions may require "belief systems" and "gods", but one need not be "religious" to have beliefs.

If you believe in god... then he exists... in your mind.

(Say hello to Aphrodite for me.... I just love her&#33; )

5. The Drawing Room   -   #65
    Originally posted by Petri+17 August 2003 - 03:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Petri &#064; 17 August 2003 - 03:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-hobbes@17 August 2003 - 04:00
    Atheism is a faith of disbelief.
    Atheism is not a faith of anything. It&#39;s the absence of faith in the existence of gods.

Without proof, you aver that God does not exist. How can one deny (to declare untrue) the existence of God without proof?
    The burden of proof is on the one making the positive assertion (such as "gods exist"). It&#39;s not necessary to disprove something that hasn&#39;t been proven in the first place.[/b][/quote]
    Athiesm: (from Merriam-Webster)

A: a disbelief in the existence of deity B : the doctrine that there is no deity

So a denial of God without proof- aka "faith"(belief without proof)

We exist, how did we come to be?

One faction asserts that we were created by a divine being, they label him "God". How do they know, faith.

The other side asserts that God does not exist and did not create us. How do they know this, faith. They offer no explanation as to how we got here. Evolution is effective at describing modification over time, driven by geographic separation and climatic parameters, but it really just fudges the whole creation thing.

An agnostic feels that religions are manmade panaceas, and searches for answers in threads such as these.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #66
    Originally posted by titey+17 August 2003 - 03:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (titey &#064; 17 August 2003 - 03:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-hobbes@16 August 2003 - 21:03

And "yes", the ancient Greeks and Roman were "spot on".&nbsp; My parents Gaea and Cronos told me so.
    Religions may require "belief systems" and "gods", but one need not be "religious" to have beliefs.

If you believe in god... then he exists... in your mind.

(Say hello to Aphrodite for me.... I just love her&#33; )[/b][/quote]
    Would that not be your "religion".

If you believe it alone, you are delusional.
    If you can convince your buddies, you are a cult.
    If you can promise eternal happiness and convince the world, you are a religion.

If your beliefs don&#39;t require a divine creator, then you live by philosophy, not religion.

I showed Aphrodite your picture and she was totally turned on by your "Cooter" from the "Dukes of Hazard" look, and went to find her "daisy dukes". Maybe you will get lucky tonight?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #67
    Aberrant
    We exist, how did we come to be?
    Ask your parents.

One faction asserts that we were created by a divine being, they label him "God".&nbsp; How do they know, faith.
    They don&#39;t know... they believe... there is a difference.

Evolution is effective at describing modification over time, driven by geographic separation and climatic parameters, but it really just fudges the whole creation thing.
    The theory of evolution was intended to explain how things change... not how they came to be. That&#39;s like saying the bible fudges the whole baseball thing.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #68
    Originally posted by titey@17 August 2003 - 03:29

One faction asserts that we were created by a divine being, they label him "God". How do they know, faith.
    They don&#39;t know... they believe... there is a difference.

Yes, exactly my point. Faith is belief without proof. My point all along has been that both Athiesm and Organized Religions must both ultimately rely on the same thing, faith.

Evolution is effective at describing modification over time, driven by geographic separation and climatic parameters, but it really just fudges the whole creation thing.
    The theory of evolution was intended to explain how things change... not how they came to be. That&#39;s like saying the bible fudges the whole baseball thing.

The above was posted to anticipate the "duh, we are here because of evolution" I expected from Petri. Trust me, I have gotten that response before in other threads, so I thought I would be pro-active.

hello, your hat is backwards

9. The Drawing Room   -   #69
    Aberrant
    hello

No, the hat&#39;s ok.... it&#39;s my head that&#39;s backwards.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #70
    Poster
    Originally posted by "Atheism"+ Wikipedia.org--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Atheism" &#064; Wikipedia.org)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>The term atheism is formed of the Greek prefix a- (meaning "without" or "not") and the Greek-derived theism, meaning a belief in a god (or gods). The literal meaning of the term is therefore without a belief in a god or gods, making any person who does not believe in the existence of a god or gods an atheist -- including both those who believe that no god exists and those who do not take a position on the existence of god(s).[/b]

Most atheists do not claim that gods don&#39;t exist. They just don&#39;t believe that they do.

<!--QuoteBegin-hobbes

The other side asserts that God does not exist and did not create us. How do they know this, faith. They offer no explanation as to how we got here.[/quote]
    Ever heard of the "Big Bang" theory? Anyway, "an invisible man in the sky made us" is hardly what I would call an explanation...

Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast