Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: SeedBox - Suggestions

SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by riparide View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor View Post
    email won't work - your email address has to be registered within their system for it to get through.

They have icq where you can chat with them, it is on their home page

If you plan on chatting with them, ask for promotion codes and that you can pay for 6+ months if you get a good deal with a promotion code
    All Right Sgt, Thanks!

Yes, im planning to chat with them! Im currently on OVH with a reseller but i want to be directly with the company.
    It's well worth chatting before you buy, the longer you can afford your contract, the better, just don't mention torrenting, they don't care as long as they don't get told

Quote Originally Posted by hrishi2das View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I am planning to take Dedic Raptor Pro Lin 577

Intel P4 3.0 GHz or Core2 Duo 2x2,0
    2x160 GB of HDD disk (Raid optional)
    1 GB of RAM (DDR Rec Ecc) (info)
    Also with raid0 on the HDDs.

Is this config enough not to have any bottlenecks other than the network ? I ask because on my existing seedbox, utorrent does not really take that much ram (I have a 128MB cache) !?? So is 1GB of ram going to be enough ?

also they have an option of getting 2x100mbps connection for 10Euro extra. i.e. they will give 2 physical ethernet cards... is this worth it ? will it mean more speed ? if I take it, I will run 2 utorrent processes, and bind each one to one NIC.

I usually seed on trackers that have lot of leechers. on Bollywood movie sites(Indian movies) So getting peers should not be a problem.

Also sgt, what FTP speeds do you get from hosting-ie ?

please advice.
    Thanks.
    Can't beat a good 577, good choice.

1GB of RAM is enough, but the more you use firefox and the more torrents you eventually seed, you may find you have to open & close your progs more than you would like, you can increase this option by 512mb at a time later if you find you would like more, I got 1GB extra for free Well worth it, on a windows box, on a nix box 1GB is way more than enough.

You can end up sharing the costs of your box with a friend, and he will have his own IP with his own hard disk and his own network card, or you can do what you suggest, both are options you can think of, half costs and share or double speed - choices, choices Or you can create yourself as another user and use the resources all to yourself, but you will certainly need more RAM.

I max out my home connection via FTP, 20mb home ADSL line.

If you are steady and patient and learn how to maximise the use of your box, then you will get the most from it.
    Last edited by SgtMajor; 07-08-2008 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

2. BitTorrent   -   #52
    arkan's Avatar Desitorrents Staff BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6

I max out my home connection via FTP, 20mb home ADSL line.
    That is indeed very good news, I was worried about FTP speeds. But are u in USA?

an extra 1GB of RAM is 10Euro+20E setup, the 2x100mbps is also the same. Which would be worth more ?

I am assuming I can add RAM later on without much problem ? Also I will be using win 2003.

3. BitTorrent   -   #53
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    No - UK.

FTP is an art, you have to learn how to set up your server & client to suit your needs nd your location, it isn't difficult - more like a bit tricky. No point in trying to do 1 file at a time, you need to wait until you have many files, or a file in many parts such as RAR files is just as good, set your server for multiple threading, set your server & client for 10 connections and set it up to run when you are in your quiet time (midnight to midday??).

I would get the box up & running before adding extras, then bribe them saying you will pay for another 3 months if they give you a free 100mb card, then after running your box for a while longer will you know if you can do with getting more RAM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #54
    Cool, thanks for the advice.

5. BitTorrent   -   #55
    deadalive1's Avatar VS ***** BT Rep: +2
    I went with this from Leaseweb. Hopefully they will set it up soon. Ordered it on the 3rd, gonna wait a few hours (time differential) and bitch to live chat about it not being setup yet.

Metered Server 2
    Server: Dell PowerEdge R200
    Remote Power Management: Remote Power Management
    Operating System : Microsoft Windows 2003 Web - 1CPU
    Software RAID: No RAID
    Server Control Panel: None
    RAM: 2GB DDR2
    Uplink Port: 1 x 100Mbps Full-Duplex
    IP: 2
    CPU: Intel 1x Quad Core Xeon X3210
    Harddisk: 2 x 250GB SATA II
    Volume Connectivity: 4000GB data traffic
    Service Level Agreements: Self-Managed
    Please do not randomly PM asking for invites as I have none to give out. Have a nice day.

6. BitTorrent   -   #56
    4TB?? - less than 2 weeks usage of a fully utilised ie.h box

Many do 10TB+ in a month, not forgetting data is torrents up & down + any FTPing you do all combined, so just don't go thinking you can do 4TB up to trackers

7. BitTorrent   -   #57
    sgtmajor: dont hosting-ie have a limit of 10TB/month ? after that they do some stuff like limit speeds and make u pay 20Euro for reinstall ?

8. BitTorrent   -   #58
    deadalive1's Avatar VS ***** BT Rep: +2
    4TB?? - less than 2 weeks usage of a fully utilised ie.h box

Many do 10TB+ in a month, not forgetting data is torrents up & down + any FTPing you do all combined, so just don't go thinking you can do 4TB up to trackers
    Well I picked 4TB as a starter, I can always up the traffic. I want to get used to it first. See what I will truly need, I figure after the first month I will know exactly where I'm at and whether I need to tweak the data or anything else.
    Please do not randomly PM asking for invites as I have none to give out. Have a nice day.

9. BitTorrent   -   #59
    Quote Originally Posted by hrishi2das View Post
    sgtmajor: dont hosting-ie have a limit of 10TB/month ? after that they do some stuff like limit speeds and make u pay 20Euro for reinstall ?
    I know of 2 people here who did 17TB in a month, they got caught and just went for a format/reinstall, I've never heard of an actual figure being quoted, but if you plan on having your box for a while, then just be sensible about it, no need to rush everything in the first week, no matter how good it feels

10. BitTorrent   -   #60
    How do they make to buy a server that OVH, not sell to our country?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast