Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Rarred or Unrarred?

mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaper View Post
    I hate rarred files because of CRC errors and redownloading them isn't exactly fun. I don't give a shit about pretimes so unrrared for me definetely.
    The great thing about bittorrent is that it has a built-in hash check, so there's no way that you can get corrupt data. You must have gotten some bad rars, and if the uploaders unrared the content before uploading, they'd see that they had a bad rar and we wouldn't have to download a rarfix.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    midnightalker's Avatar Poster
    You know, we won't change anything by discussing it, not even if we got 1000 post saying they hate rars but I really have to admit that I find this particularly comforting because I though I was the only one hated rars!!!
    "Our Democracy is being self destroyed. Because he right of freedom and equality was abused. Because it taught the citizens to consider the insolence as right, the illegality as freedom, the impudence of reason as equality and the anarchy as bliss"
    Isocrates 436B.C. - 338B.C.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    and imagine downloading a 10 gig Blu-Ray .mkv file. it downloaded ok, it even starts to play ok, but after 50 minutes it crashes, and every time you try it, it crashes. you would have to redownload that entire 10 gig file again.

but if 1 rar out of 100 is corrupt, just delete the rar and re-download that 1 rar, if it still corrupt, the uploader can reupload, only that 1 rar, you can grab it and hopefully 99 times out of 100 it will fix the problem.
    The corruption happens between the topsite and the uploaders server. Bittorrent has hash checks, so there's NO WAY an intact file on the uploaders server could get corrupted during transfer.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well there is, ive seen it happen, on numerous occasions.

it may not have happened to you, but trust me on this one, it happened just 2 weeks ago like i said.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    well there is, ive seen it happen, on numerous occasions.

it may not have happened to you, but trust me on this one, it happened just 2 weeks ago like i said.
    what's that, corruption of files between the server and your computer? Did you re hash check?

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Mostly civil BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaper View Post
    I hate rarred files because of CRC errors and redownloading them isn't exactly fun. I don't give a shit about pretimes so unrrared for me definetely.
    The great thing about bittorrent is that it has a built-in hash check, so there's no way that you can get corrupt data. You must have gotten some bad rars, and if the uploaders unrared the content before uploading, they'd see that they had a bad rar and we wouldn't have to download a rarfix.
    The last rarred movie I dled from a quality site had CRC errors all over the place.Infact all the rars were bad. I guess the uploader had a field day.
    You know what the worst part is? Now that I've dled it,I've to seed that POS!
    Last edited by soulreaper; 06-23-2008 at 02:32 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    If you didnt know i run a tracker, so NO i didnt download it, but we get to see a hell of a lot of fecked up torrents being uploaded which need to be nuked.

it was a home made rip, The uploader who ripped it, unrared it fine, Everyone that snatched it could not unrar ir at all, part 23 was fecked, he unrared it again and it still worked.

so he reuploaded it, and they got it to work.

and if you are getting lots of CRC errors in rars, its not the uploaders fault, its bad ram.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    well i dont think it has anything to do with bittorrent tbh, im pretty sure the scene released this way before bittorrent was ever thought of, never mind released (i could be wrong though we are going back a few years)

Its because of FTP, and runners. (i think)

Lets say you have 1 huge file, you would have to transfer that 1 big file via FTP in full before you can send it to someone else.

But because its split up, you can download everything, and someone else can then grab parts 1-10 while your downloading part 11-30 and so on.

so it means its faster to spread around on the FTP networks.

another reason is Usenet does not allow files over 100meg (or did not use to) so if you wanted your release to spread to Usenet, then you had to multi rar it, and which is where par files comes in.

As for bittorrent, its got an ok error protection on it, but the problem is, it is not 100% infallable, just 2 weeks ago we seen an uploader upload a torrent, it unrared great on his PC, but all the downloaders, could not get it to extract at all. so he had to upload part 23 again and they snatched it again and as far as im aware it worked.

Also you have to think, that if that was an ISO, you would not know it was busted until you burnt it and tried to play it, so you have to waste a disc. this way if it doesnt unrar you know its fecked and to try to download the bit that is fecked again.

Its just a lot more practical with any errors that we may come accross, than single files.
    i knew it was somting to that effect... thats what happens when you try to think before you have your morning coffee..

thanks for the correction stoi... seems i was a bit off base there
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    nthpeter's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    I like rarred content I like to archive movies, games, etc... and if a piece of one archived rls is corrupted, then i need to dl only the corrupted rar file, not the whole avi file.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    Let's look at the BMTV view of it; it's only one file. Therefore, users are much more likely to keep seeding it. Let's say you download a tv cap, 300mb. With rarred, you'll be taking up ~600mb on your computer, if you want to keep seeding and have the extracted file at the same time. With unrarred, you'll only have the one file; 300mb. The issue gets much bigger than 300mb though; TV Seasons? DVD-DL/Bluray games? 1080p movies?

The scene is strict, and they have their rules of transferring files. But as tracker communities we should be more open, and stray away from the idea that we're part of the scene, because we aren't. In my opinion unrarred scene releases are much more practical than rarred.

they didn't built Rome in one day

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast