Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Rarred or Unrarred?

integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    i was simply throwing a little new york sarcasm around, I'm satisfied with my puny time warner cable or maybe i'll move to sweden and bask in 100 women/mbits.

they didn't built Rome in one day

2. BitTorrent   -   #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildclaw View Post
    Yup. Sceners should just distribute directly via bittorrent to avoid all the hell with crc errors that using the ancient ftp protocol causes.
    I don't think the sceners would want to sacrifice their own security (FTP uses SSL, while Bittorrent only offers PE) for their file's integrity (Bittorrent checks for errors, while FTP doesn't).

3. BitTorrent   -   #43
    Ramus's Avatar anti-trader BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    i prefer my files in rar's.

4. BitTorrent   -   #44
    bladesharp's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +5
    rar's should be ok , less size more content

5. BitTorrent   -   #45
    Quote Originally Posted by bladesharp View Post
    But the scene's rar'd files are merely stored for the sake of integrity. They aren't compressed to any substantial degree.

Rars aren't ok. For the sceners, raring is useful, because it ensures file integrity, which is precisely what FTP lacks, however necessary the protocol is for security reasons.

For the torrenters, however, rar'd releases are cumbersome. There are programs that allow you to read archived files without extracting them, but we just shouldn't be expected to do that, when the alternative (unraring before uploading...) is so much simpler.

6. BitTorrent   -   #46
    invadercat's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
    But the scene's rar'd files are merely stored for the sake of integrity. They aren't compressed to any substantial degree.

Rars aren't ok. For the sceners, raring is useful, because it ensures file integrity, which is precisely what FTP lacks, however necessary the protocol is for security reasons.

For the torrenters, however, rar'd releases are cumbersome. There are programs that allow you to read archived files without extracting them, but we just shouldn't be expected to do that, when the alternative (unraring before uploading...) is so much simpler.
    i agree with you 100%
    sharing is a joy

7. BitTorrent   -   #47
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Acumen View Post

you are right. some people don't read threads or try to understand answers before they reply, so don't bother.

the players that play rar files are terrible and of course they unrar them as well. you just don't notice this step. they hardy have the ability to skip or shuttle. it's not worth it in my opinion.

rars give uploaders or trackers that extra second or minute (depending on the size) of pretime.

for those who didn't get it: they are not necessary nor do they have any advantage for bittorrent in general.

uploaders or even upload bots upload a lot and they want to do it fast. the only argument for rars is that they (uploaders) do the important job and one should allow them a certain laziness hence not to do the unraring for us. although i would accept the worse pretime with the benefit of saving 100% hd space when i watch the movie.

i prefer unrared. there isn't one really plausibel argument for rars on a bittorrent tracker. bitmetv or theconnection for instance made the right decision.

p.s. i like it that there are newcomers in this thread who understand bittorrent and make useful, informative posts.
    some other n00bs should take this as an example.

8. BitTorrent   -   #48
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    simple then isnt it,

If you hate rars, dont use trackers that force rars, use trackers that have no rars, and unrar scene releases before uploading.

Bittorrent error checking is NOT 100% fool proof. Just because you have never seen it happen, does not mean it does not happen.

Like i said previously, i will not touch a torrent that is not multi rared, i have seen far to many go tits up in my time, but each to their own i suppose.

9. BitTorrent   -   #49
    fatcat69's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    this is like the 100th time this subject has been debated here at FST..

please search the forums before postingggggggg! ahh

almost as bad as the favicon threads!

10. BitTorrent   -   #50
    I prefer unrared also. I do not mind using trackers that use rar files though. I'm used to it now. Plus, when getting a rar'd file, I can re-seed it to either a place that requires rar, or a place that doesn't. Only having the un-rar'd file, you can't re-seed it (or I haven't figured it out anyway).
    Either way, computers are fast enough that I dont mind waiting a few to watch/play/listen to something. I usually either move the extracted copy to my xbox or burn whatever it is, then delete the unrar'd copy.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast