Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seedbox OS

midnightalker's Avatar Poster

Unsure

I really hope this is not taken as spam as its a completely different matter.. So, I have never had any experience or knowledge on any other OS besides Windows XP and ME... So what OS should I choose? Which will be easier to learn and at the same time fast and reliable.. I really don't know shit, and I 'm moving blindly but I guess everyone has to start with something.
    A little more would be much appreciated..I send the money, the host sends me an email with 2-3 addresses I think and then I do what? I guess i put them in Firefox and I use some kind of passwords etc..And I have something like a remote desktop right??

..You see how amateur I am? Please help me just a bit...

Oh at seedhost.eu which is possibly the one I 'll choose there are the following OSes available:

• Centos 5.0 free
    • Cpanel 11 (Centos 5.0 BETA) free
    • Debian 4.0 64bits free
    • Debian 4.0 32bits free
    • Easy Group Work (BETA) free
    • Easy Streaming (Gentoo) free
    • Fedora Core 8 free
    • Fedora with Plesk 8.0
    • Fedora with Plesk
    • FreeBSD 6.2 free
    • Gentoo 2006 32bits free
    • Gentoo 2006 64bits free
    • Gentoo 2007.0 32bits free
    • RedHat 7.2 free
    • Gentoo 32bits free
    • Gentoo 64bits free
    • OpenSUSE 10.2 free
    • OpenVZ (CentOS 5 BETA) free
    • Slackware 10.2 free
    • Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server free
    • Ubuntu 7.04 Desktop free
    • Ubuntu 7.04 Server free
    • Ubuntu 7.10 Server free
    • Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop (BETA) free
    • Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server (BETA) free
    • Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition 32bits
    • Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition 64bits
    • Windows 2003 Server Web Edition free
    • Windows 2003 Web Edition + Plesk
    "Our Democracy is being self destroyed. Because he right of freedom and equality was abused. Because it taught the citizens to consider the insolence as right, the illegality as freedom, the impudence of reason as equality and the anarchy as bliss"
    Isocrates 436B.C. - 338B.C.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    fstokebanget's Avatar j-e-ib BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    if you're a Windows user and nothing but Windows choose Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition 32bits
    but if you're willing to learn Linux, as it's really easy to use and you can also use my tutorial, choose either Debian 32bits or CentOS, because Linux is resource friendly

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    BANNED BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    A lot of guys told me that UBuntu desktop is very easy to setup and its better than Windows cuz it dont use a lot of resources..
    btw, I will use UBuntu desktop too in my next seedbox

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    KaySterling's Avatar Poster
    Ubuntu is very easy, its the only Linux dist i have experience with. Never had any seedbox though but i have used it as a OS at my home computer.
    Still dual-boot it with XP.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    nthpeter's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    I recommend Web Edition, its easy to set up.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    waki's Avatar HA!
    debian or die

<3
    you can't spell ballin' without allin

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    I 'm taking a seedbox that has Intel CELERON processor so I think I shouldn't go with Windows. Now Ubuntu, CentOS(->is this a linux dist?) or Debian? and which edition? I don't think I should go with any beta so ubuntu 7.04 server or desktop or 7.10 server? Please answer I'm about to place my order ...I CANT WAIT!!!
    Come on people I need more votes
    Last edited by midnightalker; 06-24-2008 at 01:53 PM.
    "Our Democracy is being self destroyed. Because he right of freedom and equality was abused. Because it taught the citizens to consider the insolence as right, the illegality as freedom, the impudence of reason as equality and the anarchy as bliss"

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    I run Ubuntu at home as my main OS, but for my 2 dedicated seedboxes I use Debian.

Ubuntu is just a tarted up Debian, so great for home use, but Debian is more stable and therefor better for a seedbox.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-gui...ubuntu-281331/

I personally love CentOS5 for the sole fact that with just a base install and rtorrent I don't break 64 megs of memory usage (I only seed about 5 torrents at a time). Also the memory cleanup is awesome, I usually peak at 70 megs but drops back down to about 55 soon after the seeding stops.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Yes I know about the guide I 've read it twice and I think I'm ready. I'm between Debian and Ubuntu most likely ubuntu but I don't know what are the differences between Server and Desktop edition and so which one to choose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast