Thread: Which newsgroup provider?

dutchmaster420's Avatar God's Son
    I have verizon fios 20/5 connection and since they stopped most usenet access im looking elsewhere

Ive been looking at newsdemon 17.99 unlimited plan plus the 20% off coupon seems to be a good deal

any1 using newsdemon, will i be able to max out my 20/5 connection?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I also have Verizon but not fios and they cut off usenet access to all of alt.* yesterday. I personaly use newshosting.com with thier SSL package and they are pretty fast, over 1MB/s (probably more but that's my max download speed). If you do get a usenet account make sure to get SSL otherwise you won't be able to access any alt.* groups.

If your current usenet supports SSL you can upgrade and it should get around the block.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    well yeah i was using verizons newsgroup up until yesterday and had no problems with it besides the retention

Are you postive i cant get alt.* groups without SSL...please someone confirm this if true

I like how i can pay though paypal with newsdemon

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchmaster420 View Post
    Are you postive i cant get alt.* groups without SSL...please someone confirm this if true
    You will still have access to alt. groups if you go with a different usenet provider. Verizon is only blocking alt. groups with their own usenet hosting that they offer.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Think GigaNews is defiantly a premium service provider. Theyre also offering a nice promotion to customers of Time Warner and Sprint and Verizon right now.

Time Warner customers will receive 50% off their first month of Diamond access and 20% off their first month of all other accounts.
    http://www.giganews.com/twc_special.html?a=fst

They have the same special for customers of Sprint and Verizon also.
    http://www.giganews.com/verizon-spri...ial.html?a=fst

Those that choose to signup with those link will also support this site.

We are also affiliates with NewsHosting and NewsDemon who also offer great service. Theres more details about them in the pinned thread also...
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-new...aypal-118271/?
    Last edited by RealitY; 06-25-2008 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    yea I heard giganews was the best, but also the priciest...I think im going to go with newsdemon b/c the 20% is lifetime.

Can someone tell me if its true that I need to go with SSL Encyrption to get the alt binary groups like hippo said

Thanks for the help

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    limpdickkid's Avatar Free Ringdings rule BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I think FST should definitely affiliate with AstraWeb. They have some excellent packages. Especially the $39 for 3 months, i.e. $13/month ~ £6.5. Then there are the "Block" accounts. They support SSL and they have 128 days retention(and increasing), the most after Giganews.

Btw, I had a question about NewsHosting, do they allow account sharing(access from different IPs simultaneously). Like if I were to use it at home and at university will it work. Astraweb doesnt allow this, in case you were wondering.
    Search RS: Click
    To get the latest scene releases on RS with good pre-times goto: http://www.rslinks.org/
    Alt.Binz 0.28.2
    For an organised list of NZB searching and indexing sites go here -> Click Me...4 N.Z.B. ...it rhymes
    For latest goals goto: www.101greatgoals.com
    To stream sports goto www.myp2p.eu

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by limpdickkid View Post
    I think FST should definitely affiliate with AstraWeb. They have some excellent packages. Especially the $39 for 3 months, i.e. $13/month ~ £6.5. Then there are the "Block" accounts. They support SSL and they have 128 days retention(and increasing), the most after Giganews.

Btw, I had a question about NewsHosting, do they allow account sharing(access from different IPs simultaneously). Like if I were to use it at home and at university will it work. Astraweb doesnt allow this, in case you were wondering.

They don't 'allow' it but you can do it.

(Giganews doesn't allow it fyi.)

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...hierarchy.html You can try the regular non SSL package and if that doesn't work I'm sure most usenet providers would upgrade your account an SSL enabled one Edit: just tried to connect to alt.* without ssl and it worked so either I was wrong or verizon realized that they blocked alt.* for ALL usenet providers and not just thiers. So try it without SSL then upgrade if it doesn't work.
    Last edited by h1pp0; 06-27-2008 at 12:23 AM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    O, yea i knew verizon did that but im pretty positive thats only for the newsgroup service they provide not for third party, i dont think theres anyway they can block the alt groups when using third party

Quote Originally Posted by h1pp0 View Post
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...hierarchy.html You can try the regular non SSL package and if that doesn't work I'm sure most usenet providers would upgrade your account an SSL enabled one Edit: just tried to connect to alt.* without ssl and it worked so either I was wrong or verizon realized that they blocked alt.* for ALL usenet providers and not just thiers. So try it without SSL then upgrade if it doesn't work.