Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Surge

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    i'm getting a 350 watt computer. I have 2 400 watt power surge protector thingys. is that enough? will my comp be damaged by power surges? And wat happens when a power surge rapes the computer?

and btw: these will be the specs:
    - INTEL P4 2.4GHZ [800FSB] CPU
    - Intel 865PE chip 800FSB 8x AGP Main Board with Sound / USB2.0 / 10/100 LAN
    - 512MB Dual Channel DDR400 Memory
    - 120GB 7200 RPM ATA-100 HDD
    - 128MB GeForce FX 5200 8x AGP Video
    - 52x24x52 CD-RW
    - UPGRADE TO Pioneer DVD-RW --- $99
    - 5.1 Channel 3D Surround Sound
    - 480 Watts PMPO Subwoofer Speakers
    - 10/100 Network LAN

do you think 350 watts is enough for all this?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Power surge protectors are NOT enough. You need a UPS (uninteruptible power supply). SP just protect your hardware. UPS gives anywhere from 3 minutes to 2 hours to properly shut down your computer after a power surge or failure. If you're in the middle of any process & the power surges or fails you could lose all your data. With a UPS you're protected. Belkin & APC are good ones. But make sure its a UPS not just a SP.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    350 watts is fine for 2 average hard drives, dual CD/DVD drives and minimal PCI cards. Any thing more though and it's worth it to spend an extra $20 to go up to 400 watts.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    so 350 watts won't be enough? and wat does a power surge do to the computer?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by zapjb@15 August 2003 - 20:09
    Power surge protectors are NOT enough. You need a UPS (uninteruptible power supply). SP just protect your hardware. UPS gives anywhere from 3 minutes to 2 hours to properly shut down your computer after a power surge or failure. If you're in the middle of any process & the power surges or fails you could lose all your data. With a UPS you're protected. Belkin & APC are good ones. But make sure its a UPS not just a SP.
    i don't get much power outages in my area. do i still need a ups?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Everyone should have a UPS but only if you can afford to feed your family first

350 watts is fine for what you outlined. If you plan to add TV tuners, extra hard drives, USB connected devices, lights, etc, then go for 400 watts.
    A power surge could potentially fry your computer. Likely the Power supply or mainboard first. A brownout could do the same but the PC would probably just lock up and require a reboot. The worst damage would be to any data that was in ram at the time the power died. When you restart, that data would be permanently lost. It could include system files, drivers, dynamic links, etc.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    i'm adding neon lights and 3 fans. and prob firewire, and a dvd rom drive. would 350 be enough?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    get this one

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    is that necessary?
    and do i need to replace my mobo and stuff if i get a power surge?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    IMO one is messing around & playing if they don't have a UPS. All that money & time can go up in smoke without one. But whatever. Like the old commercial: You can pay me now (good oil filter) or pay me later (new engine). Substitute UPS for oil filter. And computer hardware for new engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast