Thread: Huh?

MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    I don't check my security logs as often as I should in my firewall and I discovered and attack(land attack, denial of service) from an ip address that arin says belongs to the Microsoft block. Hmmm..... Hmmm..... I wonder....... My guess was it is the hackers who are hacking Microsoft right now. Or Microsoft hates me. Anyway the attack was unsuccesful so I don't care I already blocked those entire netblocks. For those who like to laugh here is a Microsoft spokesperson trying to save face. And now... your moment of zen

The rate of new infections has slowed, he said. But computer users who still have not downloaded the patch need to do so, he said, adding that the company expects new infections to continue for as long as two years to come.

The worm left behind a love note on vulnerable computers: "I just want to say LOVE YOU SAN!" It also carried a hidden message to taunt Microsoft's chairman: "billy gates why do you make this possible? Stop making money and fix your software!"

Microsoft doesn't take the taunt personally, said Sundwall.

"Certainly we have had our naysayers in the past and I think those who have an ax to grind and happen to know how to write some code sometimes choose this mechanism to exhibit their frustration," he said.
    they don't take it personally? How else are they gonna take it? inda ass?

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    why is m$ getting blamed for this, the patch for this was freely available about a month ago.

if everyone had just updated or just left the auto update feature on then this problem would be minor.

you cannot blame m$ its idiot luser who cause all this trouble.

I have also read on slashdot that they are closing the windows update site down permenatly today due to the blaster worm, apparently it is due to attack the site today

oh yeah and at times like these linux is pretty handy as well.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    if everyone had just updated or just left the auto update feature on then this problem would be minor.
    uhh I had windows automatic updates turned off in msconfig, I did not catch this worm.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I have also read on slashdot that they are closing the windows update site down permanently today due to the blaster worm, apparently it is due to attack the site today
    You should read more carefully.

While windowsupdate.com was shut down, another site is up(windowsupdate.microsoft.com). And it is working just fine as of this posting.

For those of you who don't understand why this is being done, it's because the Slammer worm is designed to instigated a DDOS against the windowsupdate.com site.

In fact there are 3 different sites offering the patch. And shame on any of you who didn't get this a month ago.

Because some version of Windows is on 90% of the computers out there, everyone should run windows update at least once a month.

Oh, MediaSlayer, just because you're getting requests from MS doesn't mean a thing.
    If you're so quick to bash on Microsoft, get some education and get another company's' O/S.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    You should read more carefully.
    i shall try

i was reading it and got distracted by the article on how windows update ran linux for a few days

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Oh, MediaSlayer, just because you're getting requests from MS doesn't mean a thing.
    If you're so quick to bash on Microsoft, get some education and get another company's' O/S.
    I did not mean to ruffle your panties.
    A. I realize linux is an alternative, but as I am semi-new with computers(I just posted about that the other day), I can't be sussed with it at the moment.

B. True Microsoft bashing would be to say they are probably spying on us, profiling our habits so they can bitch our names to marketing firms. What I was saying is they had it comin'. And that is the truth.

C. I want to take some computer classes over the next couple of years, so I can be as smart as you, but I can't afford it at the moment. damn