Thread: Need help using usenet.

iStix's Avatar I'm rich b*ch!!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Hello guys, I wanted to ask you for help. Ok I'm using newsgroups for 2nd month now, but I don't i'll be using it after 2nd month cause I get only 600 kbyte/s speed with Giganews 29$ plan, I get >2,5 mbyte/s on rapidshare and on some torrents. I tried to change ports SSL and no-SSL, tried to change the number of downloads at same time. Did traceroute/speedtests on giganews (both servers, I'm from Europe) I get 4000 kbit/s results, when with speedtest.net I get 22000 kbit/s. Tried to change usenet programs, didn't help, nor Windows, nor on Mac. Anyone knows, where else should I look for a problem. I need to solve it, cause if not, I'll abandon usenet, because of shitty speed.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by iStix View Post
    Hello guys, I wanted to ask you for help. Ok I'm using newsgroups for 2nd month now, but I don't i'll be using it after 2nd month cause I get only 600 kbyte/s speed with Giganews 29$ plan, I get >2,5 mbyte/s on rapidshare and on some torrents. I tried to change ports SSL and no-SSL, tried to change the number of downloads at same time. Did traceroute/speedtests on giganews (both servers, I'm from Europe) I get 4000 kbit/s results, when with speedtest.net I get 22000 kbit/s. Tried to change usenet programs, didn't help, nor Windows, nor on Mac. Anyone knows, where else should I look for a problem. I need to solve it, cause if not, I'll abandon usenet, because of shitty speed.
    I live in Norway and get 3,1 MB/s both from US and EU server. Bad ping to the US server but that's normal
    I also max out my second internet connection (another ISP) @ 2.1 MB/s.

The only thing I had to do to get full speed was to use SSL.

If you look at the trace route result and see some very high values on the same node (both US and EU trace) you can often tell who owns it by looking at it's name. If it is the name of your ISP you might want to contact them.

Send a mail to Giganews too and tell them what you have done etc. as they know a lot about different ISPs (they usually have several customer from the same ISP) and they are always willing to help. They'll tell you if they can't do anything.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    limpdickkid's Avatar Free Ringdings rule BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    stupid question but thought I should still ask. How many simultaneous connections are you using:

http://xs229.xs.to/xs229/08274/altbinz_server787.jpg ?

Maybe you're just using the default '1'...?
    Last edited by limpdickkid; 07-03-2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Search RS: Click
    To get the latest scene releases on RS with good pre-times goto: http://www.rslinks.org/
    Alt.Binz 0.28.2
    For an organised list of NZB searching and indexing sites go here -> Click Me...4 N.Z.B. ...it rhymes
    For latest goals goto: www.101greatgoals.com
    To stream sports goto www.myp2p.eu

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    iStix's Avatar I'm rich b*ch!!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I'm using Unison on Mac, it doesn't allow to change connections. I have tried other client and I tried to change connections on that client all from 1 to 20, still same speed.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    hmm..
    Have you tried SABnzbdPlus. That's multiplatform and works very well. The only problem I have with it is that you cant change the directory individually for every NZB but other than that it's really good.

Look here:
    http://br41n.com/blogmans/ - Just the first search result, looks interesting. Research a little more into Sabnzbdplus and I'm sure you'll find it useful and get much better speeds with it.

PS: Note that the name has "Plus" in it. The original but now unsupported and undeveloped project "Sabnzbd" is different.

Please do tell us how it turned out.

Btw, do you know any way of running Windows software efficiently on mac. There must some way to emulate them like Wine on Linux does. Maybe you could use that with AltBinz.
    Last edited by limpdickkid; 07-04-2008 at 12:32 PM.
    To get the latest scene releases on RS with good pre-times goto: http://www.rslinks.org/
    Alt.Binz 0.28.2
    For an organised list of NZB searching and indexing sites go here -> Click Me...4 N.Z.B. ...it rhymes

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    OK, now I definitely know that the problem isn't in program or system. I have tried SABnzbdPlus (which is really primitive ), as it wasn't any better, I have tried Newsleecher on PC, which is connected through LAN, not wifi as my Macbook, but speed still stayed the same, no matter how many connections I chose. I might need to contact my ISP, maybe their blocking some ports or somehow limiting speed through certain ports. When I run Unison or any other usenet client, I get 600 kb/s, and I can download anything from internet or torrents at 2 mb/s and there is no interruption in usenets speeds. It stays 600, no more, sometimes less. X-files.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    it really is a shame. I'm addicted to usenet now. I get really good speeds, so good in fact that my not-so-primitive pc cant keep with it. Its basically because of the whole decoding business, I download at similar speeds from torrents and my pc doesnt slow down as much.
    Alt.Binz 0.28.2

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by limpdickkid View Post
    it really is a shame. I'm addicted to usenet now. I get really good speeds, so good in fact that my not-so-primitive pc cant keep with it. Its basically because of the whole decoding business, I download at similar speeds from torrents and my pc doesnt slow down as much.
    I have a dedicated computer to take care of it. OS on a raptor disk and downloads goes onto another drive. I've also selected IDLE on both decode and unrar in Alt.Binz since it makes the disk run 100% all the time when I download when everything is set to normal.

I'm building another "server" right know for storage and downloading. Quad core and 8GB RAM should help.

I guess one have to pay to enjoy life

Don't you have another computer you can use to download stuff? It makes life a lot easier.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    I had same issue! Change your port form 119 to 80.. Giganews unofficially support this and it will FLY! good luck.