Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Only 100% Official

JONNO_CELEBS's Avatar Densly Loadan BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Originally posted by Skweeky@16 August 2003 - 21:04
    About Xmas:

The 'X' in the word Xmas stand for the greek letter 'chi', pronounced 'ch'. It points at the first letter of Christ's name. As you probably will know, the letters 'P' and 'X' often can be found on churches or timelines. The 'P' stands for the greek letter 'rho', pronounced 'r', the second letter of the name of Christ.

So there is nothing wrong for catholics to use this abbrevation, as it only refers to the original language the bible was written in.
    How many languages DO you speak??

Is there any end to your wealth of usless info

I wonder how many pages this will have by Christmas/xmas/cmas/December 25th/crimbo/chrissy/National Alca Selza day

Jonno B)
    Thinking about 1
    My Place & Arcade

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Poster
    I wouldn't dare trivialize or disrespect your Christmas thread by replacing the son of God's name with an X, 3rd gen. Christmas should be a time of somber reflection about His ultimate sacrifice and a time for family and friends to express their love and gratitude for each other by breaking symbolic bread together.

Oh, and a time to sing Christmas Carols such as...............O Come All Ye Faithful.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by Skweeky@16 August 2003 - 22:04
    About Xmas:

The 'X' in the word Xmas stand for the greek letter 'chi', pronounced 'ch'. It points at the first letter of Christ's name. As you probably will know, the letters 'P' and 'X' often can be found on churches or timelines. The 'P' stands for the greek letter 'rho', pronounced 'r', the second letter of the name of Christ.

So there is nothing wrong for catholics to use this abbrevation, as it only refers to the original language the bible was written in.
    Are you suggesting the the Bible (actually a collection of works) was originally written in ancient Greek.

I think not.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    Most of the new testament was certainly written in Greek.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Poster
    Whilst on the subject Christ did not have a first name - Christ refers to the one who fulfils the prophecies, the Messiah.

So Jesus Christ is Jesus - the one who fulfils the prophecies.

It wasn't his surname for Chri ..... oh never mind.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by lynx@16 August 2003 - 23:00
    Most of the new testament was certainly written in Greek.
    By whom ?

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by Riddler@16 August 2003 - 22:50
    I wouldn't dare trivialize or disrespect your Christmas thread by replacing the son of God's name with an X, 3rd gen. Christmas should be a time of somber reflection about His ultimate sacrifice and a time for family and friends to express their love and gratitude for each other by breaking symbolic bread together.

Oh, and a time to sing Christmas Carols such as...............O Come All Ye Faithful.

1. Adeste Fideles
    Laeti triumphantes
    Venite, venite in Bethlehem
    Natum videte, Regem angelorum

Venite adoremus,
    Venite adoremus
    Venite adoremus
    Dominum

2. Deum de Deo,
    Lumen de Lumine,
    Gestant puellae viscera
    Deum verum, geniturn non factum.

Venite adoremus,
    Venite adoremus
    Venite adoremus
    Dominum

3. Cantet nunc ‘Io!"
    Chorus angelorum
    Cantet nunc aula caelestium
    Gloria in excelsis Deo

Venite adoremus,
    Venite adoremus
    Venite adoremus
    Dominum

4. Ergo qui natus,
    Die hodierna
    Jesu, tibi sit gloria
    Patris aeterni, Verbum caro factum

Venite adoremus,
    Venite adoremus
    Venite adoremus
    Dominum

I think you will find.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    lynx's Avatar .
    Luke is believed to have written most of the 'gospels' and he would have certainly written in greek, Paul wrote his letters in greek. It was the common language (as regards writing) for the eastern Roman empire, whereas latin was used in the western/northern part of the empire.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    lynx's Avatar .
    This thread is getting too serious, and is in danger of heading towards 'World Events'.

So to paraphrase Jonno:

Wibble... Wooble... My dog's got no woofer.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Forum Star
    Originally posted by lynx@17 August 2003 - 00:14
    This thread is getting too serious, and is in danger of heading towards 'World Events'.

So to paraphrase Jonno:

Wibble...  Wooble...  My dog's got no woofer.
    Thanks for saving it for the Lounge; 3rd gen would never have forgiven you/us.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast