Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Will Drugs Become Legal ?

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Besides, if you don't live here, you have neither the right nor the requisite knowledge to opine.
    The original question did not specify a country.

Granted the poster was commenting in his post Re: US policy, the answer i gave is exactly the same opinion i have about UK policy.

As said many times, I dont give a rats ass re: US policy.....except where it effects/concerns me and mine.

However, even if we limit the discussion to US policy....Drugs policy in the US WILL effect every country in the world; we all therefore, are still entitled to give our opinion on the subject matter.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #92
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Originally posted by j2k4@19 August 2003 - 05:17
    ...Canada seems to be the next target for the drug-legalization effort; I'll be watching closely.
    The House of Sober Second Thought endorsed the complete legalization of pot. However, they aren't jumping to that right away; it's been (or is in the process of being) decriminalized right now, and Health Canada's going to be selling its own. There hasn't been a decision on whether or not it'll be the super-potent strain produced back in April; it had a THC content of 25%, but was anemic.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

3. The Drawing Room   -   #93
    Poster
    Like I said, de-criminalise cannabis, we have already effectively done that in the UK.

However then treat it like alcohol - i.e. it is unacceptable to drive, operate machinery, attend work etc whilst under the influence.

All right thinking elements agree that this is the most sensible policy, as that way the quality etc can be controlled. As stated earlier it would also prevent young people from mixing with the criminal element and being drawn into that world.

Something which has not been mentioned ( I think) is the effect of a lack of cannabis on the streets, to the consumption of other drugs. Particularly by young people who want something to bring them down.

It is I believe inevitably the case that young people will be looking for a recreational drug, whether it be cannabis / alcohol etc. If there is a shortage of cannabis there is a much higher likelihood of them taking something else. Particularly if they know people who supply. It's just the way things are.

This is particularly a problem when they want something to bring them down, e.g. after taking speed or ecstasy. They use the cannabis to calm them down again. If that is not available it is reasonably common for heroin to be used instead. Before the flames start - this is a fact in the UK, I don't know about anywhere else. So to limit the availability of cannabis, if anything promotes the use of other drugs.

On the other hand kids are by nature rebellious, so if cannabis is acceptable mightn't they have to use something else. Just because that's the way they are. Must do something "wrong" it's my job.

On the whole the arguments for de-criminalising cannabis far out-weigh those against.

Incidentally have you ever been there when someone "taking a bit of blaw" had a "whitey" it is seriously not a pleasant thing. You would not wish it on anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #94
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    My take (or toke? lol) is this.....

Yes some people who smoke are lazy, lax in their responsibilities and apparently stupid....but it makes me wonder if they would be like that anyway...chicken and egg?

The supposed reduction in intelligence is not borne out by the many intelligent and highly qualified people I know who do smoke (My Phd is nearly completed thanks....durr I must be thick after 20 years as a 'Pot Head Pixie&#39

Drunken violence as mentioned before is more socially damaging than a mild mannered pot smoker.

It IS possible to function when stoned, cook dinner, clean the house etc, etc Its all a matter of priorities. These values do not change or disappear just because someone chills out in the evening.

Having spoken to people who have taken prescription anti depressants...the lack of motivation, slowness, dulled senses and 'spaced out' feelings that they engender can be much more intense, disabling and longer lasting than the effects of a spliff (of which its most intense effects usually lasts for no more than about an hour)

Oh and the lack of a hangover in the morning means that I would be pretty sure that work days lost to cannabis smoking are significantly less than those lost due to alcohol abuse.

Gateway drug theories are just scaremongering....previous comments about availability and pushers are more relevant.

@ballam......you are clearly misinformed and paranoid, narrow minded and uptight....I think you could do with a spliff...I don't recommend the use of alcohol as it is a depressant and could make you worse...oh...and as I said before anti-depressants can be addictive and disorienting....Perhaps a joint would be the safest, least addictive solution to your problems dear.....

5. The Drawing Room   -   #95
    Poster
    It must be nice to able to act so irresponsibly and immaturely.
    To disregard anything and everything that might threaten your personal escape.
    To be so convinced that your mind has not been altered to the point that your reality is not in fact real.
    As I said before , carry on.
    It gives the rest of us something to point and laugh at when we feel so inclined.

Have another "spliff". You don't sound like you have much to lose anyway

6. The Drawing Room   -   #96
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Surely the narrow minded, and emotionally immature bigot has more to be concerned about (being laughed at perhaps?) than an open minded free thinker. Whilst you are entitled to an opinion,

1. You clearly did not read my post properly...as if you had...you would notice that I have plenty to lose if I was unable to function due to drug impairment.

2. There was no disregard for opinion, nor do I 'need' to escape any more than anyone who uses alcohol or soap operas. It is a pleasure not a necessity.

3. My mind is altered by many things...caffeine, pollution, advertising media, books, oh...and reasoned argument.....if there is validity to it rather than just self righteous posturing of course.

4. Can you please explain (cos I am a dull witted pot head) what is immature about anything in my post.

5. How are my or other smokers actions any more irresponsible than any other action that temporarily alters consciousness? (back to the alcohol argument yawn)

7. The Drawing Room   -   #97
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    For millenia mankind has sought out ways to obliterate/expand/enhance reality.
    Fermenting grains (i.e. alcohol ) is one of the oldest examples and traces of cocaine have been detected in Egyptian mummies.
    Surely then, from a historical perspective, today's obsession with 'living in the here and now" and "staying sober" is the aberration, not vice-versa.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. The Drawing Room   -   #98
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by barbarossa+19 August 2003 - 10:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (barbarossa @ 19 August 2003 - 10:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@19 August 2003 - 04:17
    Besides, if you don't live here, you have neither the right nor the requisite knowledge to opine.
    What an absurd thing to say!!! [/b][/quote]
    I apologize to one and all for that unfortunate comment-it belonged elsewhere.

I was in the midst of trying to wedge a post in while all the problems with the board were occurring; it was the result of having read several threads and then momentarily losing focus as to which one I was able to reply to.

Again, apologies.
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-02-2007 at 04:27 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #99
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by j2k4+20 August 2003 - 10:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 20 August 2003 - 10:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by barbarossa@19 August 2003 - 10:40
    <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4
    @19 August 2003 - 04:17

What an absurd thing to say!!!
    I apologize to one and all for that unfortunate comment-it belonged elsewhere.

I was in the midst of trying to wedge a post in while all the problems with the board were occurring; it was the result of having read several threads and then momentarily losing focus as to which one I was able to reply to.

Again, apologies. [/b][/quote]
    In other words, j2- you were high.

Hand Balamm this thread on a platter why don't you?
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-02-2007 at 04:28 PM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. The Drawing Room   -   #100
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I do seem to remember my heart going pitty-pat for a short while.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast