Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Byte Sized Hosting is finally open to everyone

From their Twitter feed: We are having _open_ signups for at least a week or till we hit the magic mark. We will be closing signups for a few months after that.

The only way to previously get in was to follow them and be lucky enough to get an account for the hour or two they were available. I signed up about 10 days ago and have been pretty happy so far. The only downside is their default client is deluge which isn't allowed on a few trackers I use. But they got utorrent set up for me without much trouble. They are a server.lu reseller and don't seem to suffer from the upload limits that OVH puts on their servers. The only downside is they recently raised their prices from 10euros to 12 for their smallest seedbox.

Is anyone else besides me currently using them? Or thinking of signing up?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Morpheus's Avatar Member BT Rep: +1
    They raised each of their boxes by 2 euros because their recent server additions were a bit more expensive. Those of us on the "older" servers are still paying the cheaper price. However, even at 12 euros (≈16 USD) they're hands down one of the cheapest seedbox providers who provide decent HDD space. They work similarly to Big Slice Box, Whatbox, TPS, or any other places with a large amount of users on a single server.

The upload bandwidth never really suffers cause the majority of the bandwidth is used immediately after someone jumps on a torrent. The BG community has some users since that's where Bytesized got it's initial beta testers.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    I wonder if server.lu finally ran out of refurbed servers? Seems like they were selling those things since forever.

But yeah, as far as the service I'm darn happy with the box. Plus the support is great with the public tickets, and people lurking on IRC. It doesn't take long to solve a problem if anything pops up.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    I am not here to slate them or say they are rubbish because i think everyone's experience is different. I can say the few days i have used them the speeds haven't been that great, especially uploading never over 1MB in speed sadly, downloads have not been that much better either, if at all. I know i only opted for the 12 Euro box, but it was to see if it was worth purchasing a bigger spaced one. As i said at the beginning this is only my experience and other people are probably having a great experience, but for myself in future i will stay well clear and go back to the 2 companies i know are very good, a bit more cost wise but you definitely get the speeds.... Cheers Animazing for trying to sort things but it's just not for me.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    I have had their service for a few months now and have been very pleased with them. Tickets get answer quickly and the speeds have been good for me. I have hit 10 Megs on the down side a number of times and regularly seed at great speeds.

Its been a simple service that works. What more can I ask for?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by soulnova View Post
    I have had their service for a few months now and have been very pleased with them. Tickets get answer quickly and the speeds have been good for me. I have hit 10 Megs on the down side a number of times and regularly seed at great speeds.

And you were so happy, you registered just to come here and tell us all about your experience.

Certainly good to read an unbiased opinion, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Cabalo; 03-05-2010 at 04:47 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Well how about an opinion from a current customer that's kinda unhappy right now? Bytesized recently posted a black list of trackers that will not be allowed for use on their seedboxes. They apparently filter them at their firewall and any attempt to get around the block runs the risk of losing your account. You can find the list here: http://pastebin.com/0rvYpjRX

The rule is basically "if you can download a torrent from a tracker and it doesnt require an invite, then its public and not allowed." There are a couple places that I use that appear on the list and because of this I am now searching for a new provider. So if you see a bunch of open slots in the next few days/weeks this is probably the reason why.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post

And you were so happy, you registered just to come here and tell us all about your experience.

Good to see your input provided even less meaning than mine. Well played sir.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    phauk's Avatar Poster

lol well said cabalo... nothing like an admin coming and punting his own company... smartarse.. hope it fails.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24

Good to see your input provided even less meaning than mine. Well played sir.
    Well, you could say you can consider yourselves very lucky that I haven't considered this as advertising.
    But seeing the way this thread is going to, I will leave this open.

It will serve a purpose, but hardly the one initially masterminded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast