Thread: Win Xp

Poster
    Do you ever use the hibernate function.

If you never use it you may wish to switch the option off as just having it selected uses 512 Mb of your valuable disk space.

It is set as being available by default.

Setting / ControlPanel / Power Options / Hibernate.

Worth thinking about if you never use the option anyway.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    What does "hibernation" actually do to the comp? If I want it off, i switch it off, if i want it on, i leave it on

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by Proper Bo, I tell thee@17 August 2003 - 13:11
    What does "hibernation" actually do to the comp? If I want it off, i switch it off, if i want it on, i leave it on
    It saves everything you are working on. So that when you start back up you are exactly the same with all the programs in the same state, documents open etc.

It's sort of like telling your PC to sit.

Some people use it rather than switching off. Apparently the start up is much faster as well

I never use it so I disabled the option. Saving half a gb of space.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Good tip JPaul, i had forgotten about the space that it uses, and until money comes my way to get a larger hard-drive, that 0.5GB is gonna come in handy.

I think the hibernation feature is more important for those with laptops conserving battery power, or energy conscious home users. Like Bo said, my PC is either on, or off, no grey area lol.

Another space-saving tip is to either turn off or reduce the amount of HD space that System Restore takes up (i think it's 10% be default - that can be a helluva lot). I've used this feature in the past, and until i get a new drive and get a decent back-up utility, i've allocated the minimum i could to it, 200MB i think, which is enough to save a good few system restore points, and i don't see the point of going back to a point you saved 2 weeks ago, as there will be conflicts on your system, as any software installed in that period, or changes you have made, will be neglected. Depending on how much of your drive it's using, and how large your drive is, you could be talking about saving a GB or two.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Yeah nice tip. I never use hibernation, I either turn my computer off or leave it on

Regarding System Restore...does anyone know where restore points are stored, how much space they take up and is there any means to delete them?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by JPaul@17 August 2003 - 13:09
    If you never use it you may wish to switch the option off as just having it selected uses 512 Mb of your valuable disk space.
    lemme guess.......... u have 512 MB RAM

cause i have 192 MB, and turning of the hibernation save me 192 MB disk space

i think hibernation just saves wot in ur RAM

but gr8 tip though
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    here's a link to a page that tells you a little about it link

you're better with a third party software to back up your system, (something like Norton Ghost, Drive Image, or Acronis True Image)

each system restore point uses about 50MB, i have it set to use 200MB of space and currently have 4 restore points. When you reduce the space that System Restore uses (that page will tell you how to do it) i think it automaticually deletes the system restore points so that they fit into the space you have allocated, deleting the oldest first.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Storm+17 August 2003 - 15:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Storm @ 17 August 2003 - 15:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@17 August 2003 - 13:09
    lemme guess.......... u have 512 MB RAM

cause i have 192 MB, and turning of the hibernation save me 192 MB disk space

i think hibernation just saves wot in ur RAM

but gr8 tip though [/b][/quote]
    Excellent point - well made.

Never thought of that. Really obvious when you think about it tho&#39;.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Forum Star
    still a good tip, hibernations for hedgehogs