Thread: nfs or ssh on a seedbox

Question Mark

hi!

i was thinking of getting a seedbox on a vps (dedicated ones are too expensive or unavailable in my country), but what has stopped me so far is the thought of having to download things twice..

but if i could forward X sessions via ssh, or - even better - mount shares via NFS, i could spare me the hassle and "stream" content to my local pc..

does anyone know if this is a possibility?

companies may be blocking ports, but other than that, if they let me install what i want, there should be no problem..

thanks
    asy

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    c0njur's Avatar ? BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by asymmetric View Post
    hi!

i was thinking of getting a seedbox on a vps (dedicated ones are too expensive or unavailable in my country), but what has stopped me so far is the thought of having to download things twice..

but if i could forward X sessions via ssh, or - even better - mount shares via NFS, i could spare me the hassle and "stream" content to my local pc..

does anyone know if this is a possibility?

companies may be blocking ports, but other than that, if they let me install what i want, there should be no problem..

thanks
    asy
    If your home connection had the bandwidth to stream content you wouldnt need a seedbox (although music might work)

I would advise against getting a VPS. Hosting companies dont like users monopolizing a server's shared resources; most have a policy against BT as well. Dreamhost deleted my bittorrent directory less than a week after I installed it (the loadavg was reaching 6)

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    while i have only tried this on my LAN, streaming a movie takes ~ 1MBps, and my ADSL connection can definitely handle that..

the true problem is UL bandwidth, which is at a ridiculous 1Mbps, and on that side a seedbox would definitely be an improvement