Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Idea for a tracker -> Seedboxes Only

crumble6's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    It would be ridiculously difficult to seed stuff back, unless you were on the torrent the second it was uploaded. Would have to be a ratio free or something similar.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Ghostbusters's Avatar Ectoplasmic
    Wait a minute surely there's some Scandinavian general trackers that would fit the bill... ?

*edit*

Quote Originally Posted by crumble6 View Post
    Would have to be a ratio free or something similar.
    That might just work...

Baby On The Way OMFG !

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    c0njur's Avatar ? BT Rep: +1
    It would be ridiculously difficult to seed stuff back, unless you were on the torrent the second it was uploaded. Would have to be a ratio free or something similar.
    I dont think a ratio system would be needed. People could finally not worry about keep their ratio up and...this is crazy...share without looking for a reward (upload credit).

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbusters View Post
    Wait a minute surely there's some Scandinavian general trackers that would fit the bill... ?
    Ive never heard of a tracker that required a certain upload speed.
    Last edited by c0njur; 07-16-2008 at 08:18 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by c0njur View Post
    I dont think a ratio system would be needed. People could finally not worry about keep their ratio up and...this is crazy...share without looking for a reward (upload credit).
    The classic ratio system is draconian & it's great that some site owners are starting to realise this as well and are slowly edging away with it helping private BT tracker scene to evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbusters View Post
    Ive never heard of a tracker that required a certain upload speed.
    It's not compulsory but I reckon the slowest connection you would encounter would be maybe 10/10 or 20/20 and it doesn't take many of them to max out a 100/100
    Last edited by Ghostbusters; 07-16-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Baby On The Way OMFG !

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    zedex's Avatar Borat Brother BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Has anybody ever considered creating a tracker that only allows high speed connections?

With what seems to be a widening gap in bandwidth (seedboxes vs asynchronous DSL) it only makes sense that users with fast connections would want to more easily share between one another. I know even 100Mb connections get maxed out with new releases, but if all the content on a tracker could be downloaded at maximum speed I think such a site would extrodinary.

booo boooo booo

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    On top trackers, especially if you stay away from xvids, 99% of the peers are seedboxes anyway.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Transfer speed isn't really that important to me personally, it's finding that utter peach of a DVD you've been searching for that makes it all worth while. I don't mind waiting a few days for it but it rarely ever comes down to that.

Speaking of which it's movie time & this evenings choice is Superbad, peace out

I'm old school baby, retrotastic
    Last edited by Ghostbusters; 07-16-2008 at 08:40 PM.

Baby On The Way OMFG !

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    tknaught's Avatar +3 dB BT Rep: +2
    How is having DSL peers hurting you exactly? They keep torrents alive a lot longer since it takes longer for them to seed back and home connections usually have larger amounts of disk space to continue seeding torrents as long as they want.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    Trackers check the data you DL to make sure it is correct

no they don't. they only know what the client reports to them.

FTP is still a 1-1 transfer and even with 100/100 speeds transfers could encounter congestion
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DrFTPD

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    c0njur's Avatar ? BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tknaught View Post
    How is having DSL peers hurting you exactly? They keep torrents alive a lot longer since it takes longer for them to seed back and home connections usually have larger amounts of disk space to continue seeding torrents as long as they want.
    DSL peers are not hurting me, and you're right they do tend to seed longer which keeps torrents alive. However it does take longer to download a file from a DSL peer than from a seedbox peer and DSL users more or less require the use of a ratio system. Im envisioning a site where users and point.click.download(fast) at will without worrying about ratios.

You do bring up a good point about harddrive space. Most users do tend to have a lot more space at home than on the server.

Quote Originally Posted by lysine View Post
    no they don't. they only know what the client reports to them.
    ...do clients not report data correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by lysine View Post
    Interesting, didnt know that was possible.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast