Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: partial seeding improves your ratio - a myth

zedex's Avatar Borat Brother BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    its no exactly true what u say polarbear , lets say i have a poor connection . well if i would download the entire movie while some other members download it with their seedbox then by the time i will finish they already seeded the hell out of this file and im left with a poor ratio on that torrent with no way to get it back up .

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Poster BT Rep: +4
    The problem with your analysis is that it gets harder to seed as the torrent gets older, especially on xvid torrents, like in your example. As the leechers become seeders, you will have competition for those 20 snatches, and it will be almost impossible to get 13GB uploaded on a 700mb torrent file. Of course, it can be possible, but it will require a very very good line, or a very very long time. I dont know many people who have good connections that partial seed. The people who partial seed are those new to bittorent/trackers and/or have a very connection. Expecting somebody which a 50kb/s upload to get 13GB uploaded on a 700mb movie is just out of this planet.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by droste View Post
    If you have a slow connection, like me, then partial seeding is better.
    It takes quite a lot of time to leech a 700mb movie with 0.25mbit/0.25mbit.
    The others snatchers who will jump on the file after me will pass me quite fast and I will be the one who leeches from them. Always when I grab a movie it will only leech, not seed at all....
    if you have a slow connection faster peers in the swarm will be favored by leechers, but that has nothing to do with how much data you offer.

you jump on a brand new torrent. as soon as data is on your hd, you are able seed it to other peers. the more data you get, the more you can seed. it's linear. that's why it doesn't make any sense to stop downloading before the torrent is finished.

there's no time advantage. by the time you continue to download you're already seeding that small portion you originally wanted to stop afterwards.

peers don't care wether you're a partial seeder or not. they take what you have.

again. partial seeding doesn't have an advantage. if you're connection is slow, it's slow. you will not be able to upload more if you offer less chunks to the swarm.

Quote Originally Posted by zedex View Post
    its no exactly true what u say polarbear , lets say i have a poor connection . well if i would download the entire movie while some other members download it with their seedbox then by the time i will finish they already seeded the hell out of this file and im left with a poor ratio on that torrent with no way to get it back up .
    by the time you finished your portion of the file, the seedboxes will have it as well and seeded the hell out of that portion. it doesn't make a difference.
    Last edited by Polarbear; 07-17-2008 at 11:26 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    you jump on a brand new torrent. as soon as data is on your hd, you are able seed it to other peers. the more data you get, the more you can seed. it's linear. that's why it doesn't make any sense to stop downloading before the torrent is finished.
    That ties into another and maybe bigger problem having to jump on a torrent as soon as it's made available.
    Fast connection or slow on some trackers if you fail to do this you are basically screwed.
    There should be bonuses available for time that you seed beyond get out of jail free card.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Partial seeding never had an advantage over snatching the whole thing. It was just a way for people with slow connections, or new to the tracker, to build up a nice cushion first. Even if you have more chunks to upload, doesnt mean you will be able to upload them 20 times, since the number of chunks you have will be a lot greater and a person with a slow connection wouldnt be able to seed all of them. By the time a person with a slow connection seeds back an amount of data, the leechers may have already gotten the other chunks of data from faster seeders, leaving you with no one to seed to. The amount you have uploaded then will depend on your connection - if you have a fast/decent one then you should have more than 700mb uploaded. If not, then you will have a negative ratio, but if you had partial seeded, it wouldve been positive. It all comes down to your speed.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by TP635 View Post
    I think you make a bad assumption.
    20 x 14mb = 280mb upload - 14mb = 266mb buffer, file ratio 20.0
    is a reasonable assumption.

But
    20 x 700mb = 14gb upload - 700mb = 13,3gb buffer, file ratio 20.0,
    is just way off, even if the seeding time is double this may not happen.
    that would mean peers prefer you because you offer less chunks. that's not true. when 20 people snatch the movie, there are only 20 people for your one rar file as well. you won't seed more in relation with your partial dl.

Quote Originally Posted by renwickftw View Post
    By the time a person with a slow connection seeds back an amount of data, the leechers may have already gotten the other chunks of data from faster seeders, leaving you with no one to seed to.
    the same happens with your chunk. you all make one error in reasoning. of course the later you jump on a torrent, the less snatchers you get for your chunks. it just simply doesn't matter how many chunks you have. they're offered instantly to the other peers. chunks are downloaded and offered simultaniously. the amount of chunks doesn't play a role. there's no time advantage when you stop downloading.

peers have only two criteria why to connect to another peer and download. availabilty (is the chunk i need there) and speed (let's neclet encryption and others). so you simply can't connect to more peers, hence upload more if you partial seed.
    Last edited by Polarbear; 07-17-2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Poster BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I recently joined bitmetv and I haven't used it much but if i didn't partial seed and upload some of the 0day files from usenet I wouldn't be able to keep my 1.0 ratio.

Ideally I wouldn't do it cos I know the tracker can't show that i have stopped downloading and am now seeding partially (if it could that would be a great innovation btw.) - it doesn't hurt the swarm in any way.

I jsut don't want to get in a downloading trap and not be able to seed which is very likely cos my connection is 20mbit/230kB/s. I need to leave my pc on to get over 1.0...i plan to donate instead (and get a connection which doesn't count upload data.) but can't right now.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by TP635 View Post
    I think you make a bad assumption.
    20 x 14mb = 280mb upload - 14mb = 266mb buffer, file ratio 20.0
    is a reasonable assumption.

But
    20 x 700mb = 14gb upload - 700mb = 13,3gb buffer, file ratio 20.0,
    is just way off, even if the seeding time is double this may not happen.
    that would mean peers prefer you because you offer less chunks. that's not true.
    Seeding 13.3GB on a 700MB file IS way off, for a person with a bad connection. Let's say that this person has 100kb/s upload, which is pretty generous. It will take him 46 minutes to seed the 280mb. For him to seed 14gb, it will take him 2333 minutes, or 38 hours. Now that is calculated at max speed. Do you think you can seed a 700mb file for 38 hours straight at max speed? I would think not, especially if it is a popular one. Now as I said before, this calculation is very generous, many people dream of having 100kb/s upload.

Quote Originally Posted by renwickftw View Post
    By the time a person with a slow connection seeds back an amount of data, the leechers may have already gotten the other chunks of data from faster seeders, leaving you with no one to seed to.
    the same happens with your chunk.
    But since you are downloading a lot less, it will be easier to hit a good ratio, compared to a big file.
    Last edited by renwickftw; 07-17-2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: wrong calculation

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    zedex's Avatar Borat Brother BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    the solution is to make some files freeleech so that ppl can download the whole file and seed it back without worries . like ppl here said the main problem is the comptition between seedbox owners and home connection users and its always the same ... seedbox wins by far .

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Why do people assume a seedbox is the answer to everything ?
    If there are no leechers a f**k lot of good it does you.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast