Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: most user classes are outdated and lame

tknaught's Avatar +3 dB BT Rep: +2
    I like What.cd's promotion system. To get to Elite you need to upload 100 torrents, so you obviously can't just get there by whoring your seedbox. It gives people incentive to participate in adding music to the site.

For sites that don't have user uploads, I would like to see more systems that reward users for seeding torrents for a long time, rather than getting a huge ratio. That would help torrents stay alive longer and wouldn't discriminate between having a seedbox or home connection.

2. BitTorrent   -   #42
    Ghostbusters's Avatar Ectoplasmic
    Quote Originally Posted by tknaught View Post
    I like What.cd's promotion system. To get to Elite you need to upload 100 torrents, so you obviously can't just get there by whoring your seedbox. It gives people incentive to participate in adding music to the site.

For sites that don't have user uploads, I would like to see more systems that reward users for seeding torrents for a long time, rather than getting a huge ratio. That would help torrents stay alive longer and wouldn't discriminate between having a seedbox or home connection.
    Oh I never realised that everyday is a schoolday, I've got 89 uploads there gonna have to make the final push sometime

Baby On The Way OMFG !

3. BitTorrent   -   #43
    Mostly civil BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by dunson View Post
    1) The bw levels for user classes are outdated when seedboxes are used so often. A TB is the highest class on most sites and that takes less than a month if you really want it. And if you are stuck with under 100kb/s upload, get with it.
    2) The privileges are nothing special. OMGZ an NFO file! Maybe a forum!
    3) 15/18/20 weeks? Ok that's not really even that long a time commitment. Why not go by months or years to distinguish real users of the site?

Maybe it should be either time or upload/ratio. Otherwise the whole thing just doesn't really make sense for either seedbox users or slow speed home users.

But actually I think there should be no classes, because there is no real extra benefit for using the site. Check the top 10 uploaders on many sites and most of them have under 10 comments and forum posts. What are they contributing to the site really? A Gbit connection is all.
    First off,incredible post! Ty for bringing up this issue,really does need a look in imo.
    For users with slow connections(and I mean really slow),PU is unachievable and maybe for seedbox users,it's a piece of cake. Perhaps userclasses should be based on membership period or forum posts or amount of torrents uploaded(although some sites allow only specially authorised users to upload,archive section maybe?). I also feel that having 5-6 different userclasses is lame.
    PU, donors, uploaders and staff is enough imo.
    Last edited by soulreaper; 07-19-2008 at 06:23 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #44
    Mostly civil BT Rep: +3
    Double post,sorry.
    Last edited by soulreaper; 07-19-2008 at 06:30 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #45
    Pirate BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I think that promotion should not be automatically.
    I think that the staf should pick every month some qualified users to be promoted.
    The first rule of fight club is, you don’t talk about fight club

6. BitTorrent   -   #46
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Most trackers use the same tracker source and typically only modify the userclasses/rules/ etc. just enough to tailor it to their tracker. You've gotta give kudos for the trackers that actually put effort classifying user classes.

7. BitTorrent   -   #47
    walkman79's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    User Classes are meant to reward the good members. The seeders are the core of the bittorrent, people who seed 1TB have contributed a lot to the community even if they haven't been active on the forums. Seedboxes has a cost, they're not free. Besides, some of them are not english native speakers and that's why they are not active on forums.
    User Classes are not only about status, I think it's a way for the staff to say thanks to the good members.
    However, speed is not the only thing that should be rewarded. Some sites has created a bonus system which reward the users with some points if they seed for a certain period of time, those points can be traded for upload amount later. That's a way to reward users who still share but can't afford a seedbox. Some other sites reward the users who have donated, that's the only way for some people to keep a good ratio since they don't have access to seedboxes or they just don't know about them, so I'm not againts pay4leech. Furthermore, donators are the ones who keep alive their trackers.
    I think getting invites by donation sucks, because you can't tell the members to not trade or sell something that already has a price, that's a contradiction IMHO.

8. BitTorrent   -   #48
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by walkman79 View Post
    I think getting invites by donation sucks, because you can't tell the members to not trade or sell something that already has a price, that's a contradiction IMHO.
    That's not really a contradiction at all, but I personally think it's a good system, for example on ScT. The ethics of donating being the only real way newer members can get invites, except on special occasions are arguable, but think about it this way. An invite you're paying for is most likely worth more to you than an invite you got for free; you're not going to want to waste all that money on a bad user, or end up trading it for something, just to get banned and not get your money back.

they didn't built Rome in one day

9. BitTorrent   -   #49
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    buy the invite for 20 sell it for 100-400 on ebay.

you dont care who the hell you get in there as long as you make the profit.

I dont agree with "selling" invites at all.

10. BitTorrent   -   #50
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    maybe you sell the invite to some feds or some RIAA guy :rofl:

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast