Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: NFO's

BANNED BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by walkman79 View Post
    NFO files exist since 2 decades ago and they were popularized by newsgroups which shared binaries. NFO are essentially the same as README.TXT which you must read before using any warez. I always read them before downloading the stuff and I think they must be in torrent description as well, I don't understand why some sites restrict NFO to pu+ only. NFO should be along with the contents of the torrent too.
    Wikipedia?

Or you are like 40 years old?

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    Squizzle's Avatar (""\(O.o)/"")
    Quote Originally Posted by CPC464 View Post
    but why do some trackers insist on including a nfo in user uploads which arn't necessarily scene releases. It just becomes a bit of a pain having to create a NFO before uploading a file.
    It's likely that they haven't considered this at all and are using an unmodified tbits or tbdev upload page / takeupload script.

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    IMO the NFOs are very important, for many reasons, they usually have all the info about a release, in my case I like movies with subs, only the NFO tells me if the release is useful for me or not. For applications and games are almost necessary because the NFO file itīs where the info needed for making work properly is.
    Plus many of them are really funny, and I love the art that some have.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Apps and games to check specs etc etc
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Duckster666/DUCK.png
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    Adama's Avatar Xtreme User BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    i only read them when i need a serial or instruction for a software

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Nfo's are nice for dvd-rips. They tell you everything you need to know so that you can make the best call on if you want to dl it or not. TBH even if I can't see an info on one tracker it's so easy to pick one up elsewhere.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    I always looked at NFO's as a work of art I mean yes they hold useful info but at the same time you have to give props to the people that take the time to design some of the more elaborate NFO's.

I personally have always liked the creative input put in by some of the Ascii groups.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    walkman79's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Wikipedia?

Or you are like 40 years old?
    It's just general knowledge, every linux user who has ever compiled source code to install a program knows that he must read the README for installation instructions.
    I have read a lot about File Sharing stuff, I can't pin down exactly where I have read about NFO.

I'm not that old, I'm 29 but thanks. When I read a NFO file for the first time in the 90s I realized that it was essentially the same as README. You don't need to be a Guru to notice it lol

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    NFO's have been around since the BBS days for anyone wanting a history lesson look here-> http://www.textfiles.com/

Some of the first NFO's as they would later become known as are documented on that site.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234