Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Control 8800gt fan speed, 2pin fan connector

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    I have the EVGA 8800 and it works fine with Rivatuner. Is this a problem only with XFX cards or Nvidia??
    seems like just a problem with this specific xfx model.
    No wonder it was so cheap.
    I think that the main question would be...even though it's loud, how effective is it?
    If the cooler seems to work well, then it might be worth fiddling around with the fan but since very good GPU coolers are available for @$30-40, it's probably best to just ditch the stocker and go aftermarket.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    seems like just a problem with this specific xfx model.
    No wonder it was so cheap.
    I think that the main question would be...even though it's loud, how effective is it?
    If the cooler seems to work well, then it might be worth fiddling around with the fan but since very good GPU coolers are available for @$30-40, it's probably best to just ditch the stocker and go aftermarket.
    Ya but then I have to live with the noise for a few days until the cooler is delivered.

I just volt-modded the fan, and when I can get a 3-way switch I'll make it switchable between 7 and 12volt for when It gets hot (gaming).
    I don't game much anyway, and with the fan running 7volts the temp is currently reporting 47 which I don't mind much.
    I wonder if it goes up while watching hd video though. That's the only graphics-intensive thing I can think of that I do on a regular basis.

By the way, do these intel core 2 quads naturally run hotter than the old amd athlon 64's (3000+) or did I do something wrong?
    Or does the stock cooler just suck?

With my old amd athlon 64 3000+ oced by quite a bit I was getting an average of around 32degrees idle with the stock cooler running at 50% speed.
    With the quad i'm getting around 39 with stock cooler at 50%.
    Last edited by tesco; 07-20-2008 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I don't think watching HD video raised the temp that much especially with a 8800GT I currently have the ASUS EAH3650 SILENT it has no fan at all

I was skeptical at first but I never game on the HTPC all I do is watch HD movies and the temps stay around 44- 47 degrees no matter what. The 8800 is a far better card so I can't imagine it would run hotter.
    I have the q6600 too with the evga8800 in my main rig and I have that bitch OC'd to 3.2 now 24/7 and the temp stays around 38 but in fairness I have a kick ass CPU cooler. Stock coolers are hit or miss IMHO depending on your case airflow they can sometimes be crap. So perhaps invest in a good cooler. I used to use the Blue Orb II until one of the clips broke so then I ordered the Enzotech Extreme X (this site sleeves it for you free)and I love it, its a monster of a thing but works great. Also another recomendation is the Scythe Ninja Mini, it's not so freakin "mini" at all pretty big in fact, but works very well with low noise. In the HTPC ATM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14

By the way, do these intel core 2 quads naturally run hotter than the old amd athlon 64's (3000+) or did I do something wrong?
    Or does the stock cooler just suck?
    Ross, you of all people should know that "temps" mean absolutely nothing without factoring in the room ambient.

I've never used the stock Intel HSF so I don't know how good they are but in general I think the c2d (even the quads) run cooler than their AMD counterparts.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I just got a reply on my support ticket and they're going to send me a free fan speed controller.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    ... they're going to send me a free fan speed controller.
    I threatened to stop the car if they didn't.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    ... they're going to send me a free fan speed controller.
    I threatened to stop the car if they didn't.
    Wow.

You're good.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    One tries.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    One tries.
    One do, don't one?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Just so, my good man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12