Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Partial Seeding, should it be practiced or unethical?

NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    hey guys,

In light of the semi-recent thread about whether or not partial seeding is effective, I decided to open this thread to discuss how ethical it is..

Personally imo, this practice is very a unethical habit. This is because it promotes bad seeding habits and it does go against the basic principles of files sharing. In addition to this, it also kills torrents much faster and in the process hurts trackers(not every tracker is a giant like S*T or TL)..

If peeps have trouble with seeding back what they take, then perhaps they really need to adjust there torrenting habits or stay away from trackers with tougher peer environments .. However, there are ways to help with this without the need for partial seeding, such as hitting up FL torrents, many trackers have IRC bonuses, and others yet have seed bonuses as well..

Peeps should try to understand, its not about a single individual... its about the community as a whole..

Edit:
    The only exception to my statements above would be for packs.... It really doesn't make much sense to have to d/l a 12GB pack for only one item in it... but, what you take should be seeded well..

anyways... let's hear what you guys have to say about this..
    Last edited by jasperr; 07-20-2008 at 04:53 PM.
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    punki_rach's Avatar El Chupanibre BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    I don't think it's unethical to do it with big packs (because you can't download everything) because you're still uploading, and someone else is still downloading from you. Can't say I've thought about it a lot though. I guess if you only ever partial seed then it would be a different matter. Do any trackers say you can't partial seed?

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Its a different conversation if you are partial seeding one movie out a pack verses 2-3 50MB RARS out of one Movie

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    BCG

Ok we have just started to do packs, so it is allowed on those. even though we would prefer members downloading the whole lot, but sometimes its not just feasable.

But we had members partial seeding a 1 disc game, well it has 2 damaging effects on BCG.

1. potential leechers see there are lots of leechers, think cool, get a good ratio on this, jump on, complete the torrent, and they are all partial seeders. so they cant upload anything.

2: It messes the SP system up big time, we have a 20:1 seeder/leecher rule on for every torrent. well if there are 5 partial seeders and 40 proper seeders, the proper seeders can never get the SP, and they cant upload to get their ratio up. so they have to seed for months while doing nothing on the torrent.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Can see why people may down part of a pack i.e. 2 films out of a 5 film pack coz they either have the others or not want them so I think that is exceptable.
    I am totally against the grab a few torrents and seed idea to build a ratio.
    I have even argued with staff on what I consider to be a pay to leech site as they encourage people to do this then it means there are even more people with wait times who then pay for gigs.
    They totally denied it a prentened not to see the maths when I pointed it out to them, either that or not clever enough.

So I think any site worth its salt would discourage this totally from their site
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Duckster666/DUCK.png
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    BANNED BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    I think that it is acceptable if you have a low upload speed and I thinkthat it should only be done to a certain extent. It becomes a problem when everyone overdoes it.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I won't keep banging the same drum, but sites that go down the path of not allowing it get my vote. I've also stated publicly that seeding torrents grabbed from other sites to some sites amounts to the same thing, a big no-no.

Of course there are exceptions, there always are, packs springs to mind, but the ethos of torrenting is to grab a torrent 1:1 and seed it back 1:11 so the uploader can move onto to other uploads. Partial seeding of single items kills that stone dead.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Tudor View Post
    Yes, but that was Thursday, it Sunday already!

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tudor View Post

NO, its not actually... that thread was debating whether or not it it improves ratios.. as it says in the title.. DUH!

Quote Originally Posted by markupmaster View Post
    I think that it is acceptable if you have a low upload speed and I thinkthat it should only be done to a certain extent. It becomes a problem when everyone overdoes it.

thats the problem... it's too wide spread imo based on some of the responses in the other thread.. peeps think its ok, and most cases they abuse.. why do peeps need buffers?? they don't! As i said previously, that crap is for boasting how big peeps THINK there penises are.. lol

packs are a different category... as i made edit in my OP for that
    Last edited by jasperr; 07-20-2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast