Thread: Linux

Poster
    LINUX: Over 34% more
    geeky than any other
    operating system.

You will spend countless hours figuring out how to do the simplest things. What could be more fun?

You're a computer geek. You like to play with stuff. You know that the fun of working with
    computers isn't what you can do with them -- it's making them work in the first place.
    The problem is, computers have become too darned easy to use. Plug-and-play, shrink wrapped
    software, easy Internet connections -- all of these conspire to take all the joy out of setting up a new
    system. Some manufacturers even advertise an out of the box and onto the Internet in ten minutes
    experience!
    Doesn't that make you cringe? What are you going to talk about at work? "Yeah, I installed this
    new SCSI adapter in my system last night and Windows 95 just recognized it and it worked the
    first time."
    What self-respecting geek would enjoy an experience like that? When something works as
    advertised, aren't you disappointed that it wasn't more challenging?
    Linux brings the fun back into working on your computer. You will spend days just configuring it to
    recognize your hardware.

Once you get Linux to boot, you can struggle with a multitude of arcane non-quite-UNIX-like commands, such as grep, tar, and cat. Need a real challenge? Spend a few hours editing configuration files using the vi editor.
    Linux comes in a variety of flavors, so once you think that you've mastered one version, you can start on the next! Still bored? There are all kinds of graphical user interfaces you can pick, none of which use the same window manipulation symbols!
    You can mix and match software components, so your Linux is unlike anyone else's. This makes for great technical dialogues on the Internet. What a great way to meet people with similar interests!
    Best of all, you cant buy Linux productivity applications at your local computer software retailer. Instead, you can download files from the Internet and run bizarre installation procedures. All the while, you can feel yourself getting smarter.

LINUX
    You will spend countless hours figuring out how to do the simplest things.
    What could be more fun?

2. Lounge   -   #2

so true....
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Knowledge is Power

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Linux redhat9 is my fav

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Out of The Ordinary
    I&#39;ve only experience with Linux Mandrake 9.0

BOT

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Originally posted by balamm@18 August 2003 - 05:55
    LINUX
    What could be more fun?
    Reminds me of excruciating hours spent in assembly language&#33; It was fun alright&#33;
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Originally posted by I.am+18 August 2003 - 21:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (I.am @ 18 August 2003 - 21:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-balamm@18 August 2003 - 05:55
    LINUX
    What could be more fun?
    Reminds me of excruciating hours spent in assembly language&#33; It was fun alright&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Lol, I use to do some assembly for my Ti-83 plus calculator. Boy, was that ever so much fun

8. Lounge   -   #8
    If it dosent crash or freeze up every 5 min I dont want it.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    i tried to boot linux using a moviX cd image and after about 30 seconds of flashing command line garble it crashed so i had to pull the plug

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    http://www.shn.free-host.com/Linux-Is-Good.swf

This is a funny flash about linux.