Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking In Public

smoking in public kills passive smokers

there is evidence (look at the high profile death of roy castle)

it's all very well for smokers, cos you are already killing yourself, but putting others lifes in danger is so selfish it's unbelievable
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Knowledge is Power
    I agree 137% with 3rd gen noob

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Aberrant
    Business establishments have the right to ban smoking within their own walls if they wish -
    - I just won&#39;t patronize them anymore if they do.

However, noob&#39;s suggestion that I only be allowed to smoke within the confines of my own home is just ridiculous.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Originally posted by titey@18 August 2003 - 16:15
    However, noob&#39;s suggestion that I only be allowed to smoke within the confines of my own home is just ridiculous.

i don&#39;t see why it&#39;s ridiculous...only common sense

passive smoking is a proven killer...it doesn&#39;t kill very quickly, but it does kill

so if you allow that logic, i must be allowed to come and punch every smoker in public i see once every 5 minutes

after a few years, they&#39;ll all be dead from brain damage and my mission will be done

p.s. i know my example is very stupid, but the sentiment is there

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Aberrant
    If I wish to smoke a cigarette while waking down the street, my "second hand smoke" is so diffused it poses far less threat to passers-by than the exhaust fumes of automobiles.

Perhaps people should only be allowed to drive their cars within the confines of their own homes?

6. Lounge   -   #16
    lynx's Avatar .
    I think smoking in areas where people are eating is extremely anti-social, and I can understand such restrictions. However, I can also understand that some people like to have a cigarette with there drink (I always used to).

I do not think it is the business of government to decide where a privately owned business should allow smoking, with the exception of eating areas. Equally, I believe that businesses have a duty to make their smoking policy clear so that both smokers and non-smokers have a choice whether to frequent that establishment. Once decided, that policy should be STRICTLY adhered to.

Of course, the problem comes when all establishments in an area decide on the same policy leaving those seeking the opposite policy without any choice, but in a reasonably large area the number of places choosing either a total ban or total smoking areas, or some sort of mix should balance itself to the proportion having a preference.

Re passive smoking: If you don&#39;t want to have someone&#39;s smoke, don&#39;t frequent the places that allow smoking, if it really is that big an issue the places which allow smoking will go out of business. But you don&#39;t have a right to force your own restrictions on everyone else.

Edit: @titey: BEEP BEEP
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Originally posted by lynx@18 August 2003 - 16:28
    Re passive smoking: If you don&#39;t want to have someone&#39;s smoke, don&#39;t frequent the places that allow smoking, if it really is that big an issue the places which allow smoking will go out of business. But you don&#39;t have a right to force your own restrictions on everyone else.
    passive smoking is pollution

pollution should not be allowed...

8. Lounge   -   #18
    gaz_k's Avatar Poster
    i know yeah
    what about alcohol abuse
    it is still so easy for 14 yr olds to go out on a friday nite n get smashed on white lightening and other high strength drinks (for them) but nothing is done about that... cos again, its a good tax income for the government.
    it not the government banning smokin, just various local councils or businesses.
    passive smokin only really has any main threat if in small confined areas, walking down the street aint gonna make much difference.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Originally posted by titey@18 August 2003 - 16:26
    If I wish to smoke a cigarette while waking down the street, my "second hand smoke" is so diffused it poses far less threat to passers-by than the exhaust fumes of automobiles.

Perhaps people should only be allowed to drive their cars within the confines of their own homes?
    and that&#39;s where you&#39;re wrong...

exhaust fumes contain a lot less damaging chemicals than cigarette smoke does

ok, so the volumes are higher, however, the force which cars propel exhaust fumes means they disperse qwuicker

10. Lounge   -   #20
    lynx's Avatar .
    @ 3GN: then kindly get that gas guzzling monster off the road.
    I take it you haven&#39;t seen the smog over London, NewYork, Los Angeles etc. Oh, of course, it is tobacco smoke.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast