Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking In Public

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    .. you dare put your life in the hands of a cigeratte.
    I never want to start smoken em.. when u do, you feel as if it's your own air and you will suficate without em...when they are the ones killing you

2. Lounge   -   #42
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+18 August 2003 - 16:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 18 August 2003 - 16:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@18 August 2003 - 16:48
    On a private track ? That doesn&#39;t stop it producing polution.

But isn&#39;t that just like a private business ? Your convoluted logic amazes me.

Edit: typo
    the nordschleife is surrounded by trees..therefore the cars are "feeding" the trees

also, the nordschleife is private land, so if you can smoke in your own house, you can drive on your own track... [/b][/quote]
    Or smoke in a bar ?
    Or are you trying to tell me that the public do not visit nordschleife ?
    And they don&#39;t have Cat&#39;s so they will be pumping out all sorts of hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, sulphur dioxide, etc.

As for a Porsche in LA outputting cleaner air than it takes in, I think that is extremely unlikely, but even if it is true it is the exception rather than the rule, and there aren&#39;t that many Porsche&#39;s in LA, the rest of the pollution comes from the other 99.999% of the vehicles.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Lounge   -   #43
    Originally posted by lynx@18 August 2003 - 17:29
    And they don&#39;t have Cat&#39;s so they will be pumping out all sorts of hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, sulphur dioxide, etc.
    erm...how do you know that?
    isn&#39;t it possible that the cars have cats in place?
    (a lot of them actually do)

my point was simply that people who smoke kill people with passvie smoking

also, it could be argued that people who drive cars are doing so for a purpose (to get from a to b or whatever), whereas people who smoke do so only for &#39;enjoyment&#39;
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Lounge   -   #44
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+18 August 2003 - 17:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 18 August 2003 - 17:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@18 August 2003 - 17:29
    erm...how do you know that?
    isn&#39;t it possible that the cars have cats in place?
    (a lot of them actually do)

my point was simply that people who smoke kill people with passvie smoking

also, it could be argued that people who drive cars are doing so for a purpose (to get from a to b or whatever), whereas people who smoke do so only for &#39;enjoyment&#39; [/b][/quote]
    With the exception of a few cars which are also road going vehicles, track cars do not use cats because of the performance drop.

We all understood your point very well, what we don&#39;t accept is your right to enforce your restrictions on the rest of us. We have (by and large) accepted that owners of private premises should have the choice to restrict smoking either in part or totally, but surely that should be their choice, and if it conflicts with your desire for a smoke free atmosphere no one will enforce your presence. Why should the preference of others be restricted by your choice ?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Lounge   -   #45
    Originally posted by lynx@18 August 2003 - 18:07
    With the exception of a few cars which are also road going vehicles, track cars do not use cats because of the performance drop.

We all understood your point very well, what we don&#39;t accept is your right to enforce your restrictions on the rest of us. We have (by and large) accepted that owners of private premises should have the choice to restrict smoking either in part or totally, but surely that should be their choice, and if it conflicts with your desire for a smoke free atmosphere no one will enforce your presence. Why should the preference of others be restricted by your choice ?
    the car shown runs with a cat

also, i have the right to my opinion, you have the right to kill me with second hand smoke

doesn&#39;t that seem a little unfair?

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

6. Lounge   -   #46
    Originally posted by lynx@18 August 2003 - 18:07

the car shown runs with a cat

also, i have the right to my opinion, you have the right to kill me with second hand smoke

doesn&#39;t that seem a little unfair?

7. Lounge   -   #47
    Originally posted by gaz_k@18 August 2003 - 13:38
    What&#39;s the bloody country comin to......
    Pizza Hut have announced that from today it is not allowed to smoke in there.

and dropping fag butts is classed as droppin litter... well where are you supposed to put them if you not allowed to put them in a bin... there are not enough fag bin things about.....

what next, bloody banning swearing in pubs?&#33;&nbsp;
    I love the mentality here.
    When I go rafting, do I throw my empty beer cans into the river because the state of Texas has not installed trash cans every 20 feet along the river for my convenience.
    No, I actually bring a gargage bag I can attach to the raft and take responsibility for my litter. Imagine that&#33;.

How long have cigarettes been around, how hard can it be to figure out how to extinguish them and store the butts? What is wrong with carrying an empty metal bandaid tin to store them in. Oh, I forget, smoking has the image of being cool, not cool at all to attempt to be considerate.
    I really enjoy you smokers who take full advantage of stoplights to empty your ashtrays onto the road. Is there some kind of mental disconnect that makes you unaware that "butts" are trash?

As for restaurants, why should I be limited in where I want to eat because you can&#39;t control your need to smoke. Smoke not only dampens the sense of taste but also stinks up clothing. In my line of work it would be highly inappropriate to see customers while reeking of smoke. I do not infringe on your enjoyment of your meal, so why should you be allowed to do this to me? Smoke outside or in your car (if it is cold).
    I would prefer that people smoke outside, rather than indoors where children and others are more likely irritated by the smoke.
    As for bars, what the hell, it&#39;s only a couple of hours, I&#39;m going to stink of alcohol anyway. Besides it help filters out the chicks I don&#39;t want to waste my time on. Have you ever kissed a girl who smokes? I would imagine the taste gives feces a run for it&#39;s money.

I largely agree with noob3g, but I think he takes it a little far, most likely because he was being ganged up on.

As for pollution, the exhaust generated by cars in transit is the price we pay for the convenience. What, however, is the point in driving a car around a track for 500 mile? Seems not only pointless, but a little ridiculous given present problem with fossil fuels.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

8. Lounge   -   #48
    Aberrant
    Originally posted by hobbes+18 August 2003 - 20:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes &#064; 18 August 2003 - 20:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>As for restaurants, why should I be limited in where I want to eat because you can&#39;t control your need to smoke. Smoke not only dampens the sense of taste but also stinks up clothing. In my line of work it would be highly inappropriate to see customers while reeking of smoke. I do not infringe on your enjoyment of your meal, so why should you be allowed to do this to me? Smoke outside or in your car (if it is cold).[/b]

Why should business establishments cater only to your wishes and ban smoking?
    It should be up to the business itself whether or not to allow smoking.
    I choose which places to patronize by their smoking policy - why can&#39;t you?

Originally posted by hobbes@18 August 2003 - 20:04
    I largely agree with noob3g, but I think he takes it a little far, most likely because he was being ganged up on.
    How was he being "ganged up on" when he posted this:<!--QuoteBegin-3rd gen noob
    @18 August 2003 - 08:53
    smoking in public is disgusting and should be banned everywhere.

i have nothing against those who smoke in their own houses, however, smoking in public is something which should not be tolerated

passive smoking is a proven killer. if smokers want to kill themselves, go ahead, but they should not be allowed to kill others
    [/quote]
    That was his first post in this thread - no one had had a chance to "gang up on him" and he was already off the deep end.

9. Lounge   -   #49
    Originally posted by titey+19 August 2003 - 03:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (titey @ 19 August 2003 - 03:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> How was he being "ganged up on" when he posted this:<!--QuoteBegin-3rd gen noob@18 August 2003 - 08:53
    smoking in public is disgusting and should be banned everywhere.

i have nothing against those who smoke in their own houses, however, smoking in public is something which should not be tolerated

passive smoking is a proven killer. if smokers want to kill themselves, go ahead, but they should not be allowed to kill others
    That was his first post in this thread - no one had had a chance to "gang up on him" and he was already off the deep end. [/b][/quote]
    i&#39;m not hugely bothered about debating as a minority...i was solely stating my views

10. Lounge   -   #50
    Aberrant
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@18 August 2003 - 21:05
    i&#39;m not hugely bothered about debating as a minority...i was solely stating my views
    As you should.

I just wanted to point out that you weren&#39;t "ganged up on" before you began posting your insane suggestions.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast