Thread: Halite, a Fast and Lightweight BitTorrent Client

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "During the last three years, not many new BitTorrent clients have surfaced. Together, the likes of uTorrent, Azureus and BitComet have a 90% market share, with uTorrent being the most popular client. For a new client it is nearly impossible to catch up with these giants, but Halite might just stand a chance."

"Still a relatively unknown BitTorrent client at the moment, Halite is named after a mineral - rock salt in plain English.

The open source application is developed by Irishman Eóin O’Callaghan, who started the project in 2006, and has been adding features and improvements ever since. We’ve been following Halite’s development for quite a while now and over the past few months it has become a fully-featured, yet lightweight BitTorrent client.

One of the greatest strengths of Halite is that it uses minimal system resources. The latest release uses less than 10,000k of memory, half of what uTorrent uses on average and only a fraction of the consumption of Vuze or BitComet."

Source: Full Article @ TorrentFreak
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    n00b
    I tried it out, and for a few months was doing real beta testing on it. the slow pace and some serious bugs about stats-reporting recently made me drop it.

other than that, I think it has great potential, and if the developer had more time to devote to it, it would be an excellent replacement candidate for uT

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    aaatoel's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    Haven't tried it yet... The description though sounds really promising!
    Stop chasing, start living!!!

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    DarkWave's Avatar Greek Member BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    I had tried it before (for a week or two) and the only thing that made me wonder, was the better speeds that i could get.

With my adsl in 14Mbit, i could download 1.6MB/sec when with utorrent i can never get more that 1.4

On the other hand, it's not allowed yet in 90% of the trackers, so i stopped using it, not to get banned for that