Thread: change the max size of xp's trash.

Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    By mistake I deleted a set of files with a size of 70gb and had to use an undelete program to recover them. It was *really* annoying having to recover them only to find they had names like df74.mkv (to df179.mkv) and I had to manually change all the names to restart seeding.

This problem was caused by XP having a maximum size for the trash of 4gb. I want to change it to a decent size, say 100gb, to prevent this happening to me again: anyone know how to do it?

Note this guy seems to think it is like this, but mine has a hard limit of 3.99gb.
    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102...sageID=2689064

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Right click on the Recycle Bin icon and click on "Properties".
    You can set the desired size there.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Right click on the Recycle Bin icon and click on "Properties".
    You can set the desired size there.
    If you're referring to tweaking the slider that sets the "Maximum size of the Recycle Bin (percent of each drive)", that doesn't solve his dilemma.

I tried to do that on my pc and set the max size of the recycle bin to a generous amount and it still won't accept my 6 gb file (permanently trying to delete it instead)

I looked around and it seems that you can't get around that 3.99 GB limit or 10% of your hd's capacity. At least on an XP machine. This page explains it better:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2139504,00.asp
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    No hacks for this after about 8 years of XP is shocking. If it cannot be hacked, does anyone know of a replacement for the recycle bin instead?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Create a folder called TRASH, make a shortcut to it on your desktop and right-click drag-drop files to the shortcut instead of deleting them.
    Do this for each partition.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008