Thread: newsgroup n00b

BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I've been using torrents for a while and am really set with that. I want to try Usenet to get some stuff though. I know the basic idea of Usenet/newsgroups, but not much about the details.

I'm on a Mac, so what client should I use? Which service should I buy?

I like full DVDs and house/trance music, if that matters.

Thanks.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    222MHz's Avatar Poster
    Give Unison a try. http://www.panic.com/unison/index.html

As for service it has been covered extensively here and elsewhere on the web. Pick on that is affordable with the best retention rates.

I myself use Altopia for $9/month. But the retention on binaries is only 12 days. Giganews on the other hand has over 100 days but cost more.

As far as what is available to download.. Pretty much everything from the Maintenance Manual on a M-1 tank to full Blu-ray DVD's..

Enjoy.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Giganews is the choice provider, with 240 days of retention and unparalleled uptime completeness of files. I've never even heard of Altopia, and I've been in the game for some time now.

Unison is the only mac Newsreader that I can recall off hand. Pickings are slim on that front.

What you want to download doesn't matter much. It's all there, everything. Just check out the NZB sub forum on this site. That's just touching the surface.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by 222MHz View Post

As for service it has been covered extensively here and elsewhere on the web. Pick on that is affordable with the best retention rates.

I myself use Altopia for $9/month. But the retention on binaries is only 12 days. Giganews on the other hand has over 100 days but cost more.

As far as what is available to download.. Pretty much everything from the Maintenance Manual on a M-1 tank to full Blu-ray DVD's..

Enjoy.
    $9/month for 12 days retention is the pits.

Have a look at some of the stickies in this section for some deals.

Giganews is the best there is; nothing else even comes close. Let us know what you're willing to spend and we can suggest some specifics.

yo

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Unison does look nice (I <3 Aqua). I guess buying it is the way to go? I could probably find a client somewhere on a torrent site to give it a shot.

As for cost, Giganews is really cheap. My seedbox seemed a bargain at 30 Euro a month...

Thanks for clearing up my noob questions before I dropped $ into it!

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 222MHz View Post

Enjoy.
    $9/month for 12 days retention is the pits.

Have a look at some of the stickies in this section for some deals.

Giganews is the best there is; nothing else even comes close. Let us know what you're willing to spend and we can suggest some specifics.
    For an extra $2/mth ($11/mth) with Astraweb you get unlimited speed and download, ssl, 141 day retention, ssl, 20 connections

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html
    Last edited by jbloggs; 07-24-2008 at 05:02 PM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    newsgroupie
    If you're OK with the price of Giganews, then case closed. It's the best.

For downloading files from binary newsgroups using a Mac, I recommend SABnzbd. (it also works on any OS)

http://www.sabnzbd.org

and of course the NZB sites like Filesharingtalk and search engines like Binsearch.info or NZBindex.nl

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    JustDOSE's Avatar look at my meatwad
    dont misleed the noob; its only good if u want retention ( ie: a 200+day old file) other than that there is newshosting,Astraweb