Thread: People Paying Ott For Second Hand Processors!

I dont know what your opinions are so this is why Im asking. Lately Ive just purchased a XP1800 from ebuyer brand new for under £40. However before I did so I was watching the prices of second had ones on ebay with prices shooting over £40. What is going on with people wanting to spend that much on used stuff? What you guys reckon?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    my theory is that eBay is where people who've suffered brain damage go to buy things. i do use eBay and sometimes get very fair prices on my purchases, but it's entirely common to see people bidding way beyond retail (or OEM) prices on both new and used merchandise.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    occasionally people are given to bouts of stupidity and/or insanity

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    whats oem mean?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Miyake@17 August 2003 - 10:41
    whats oem mean?
    Original Equipment Manufacturer

its when you basically get the stuff like the manfacuterer like Dell or HP would, usually with no manuals, maybe not the retail box, etc.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    in a game store near me they have a GeForce FX 5900 for £449
    and in another store they have it for £335 OEM
    is anything wrong with it?
    is it a good deal if its oem?

Sparkle - Retail box (OEM where specified)

GeForce FX 5900 - OEM - AGP 8X, 128MB DDR (3.6ns), TV, DVI - DX 9 Compatible £336.99
    GeForce FX 5600 Ultra - AGP 8X, 128MB DDR, TV, DVI, VIVO - DX 9 Compatible CALL
    GeForce FX 5600 - AGP 8X, 128MB DDR (3.6ns), TV, DVI, No VIVO - DX 9 Compatible £147.99
    GeForce FX 5600 - AGP 8X, 256MB DDR (5ns), TV, DVI, no VIVO - DX 9 Compatible £141.99
    GeForce FX 5200 Ultra - AGP 8X, 128MB DDR, TV, DVI, no VIVO - DX 9 Compatible £133.99
    GeForce FX 5200 - AGP 8X, 128MB DDR, TV, no DVI, DX 9 Compatible £60.99
    GeForce FX 5200 - AGP 8X, 64MB DDR, TV. No DVI, DX 9 Compatible £52.99

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    OEM parts are just packaged to be sold to companies that build computers. there is nothing wrong with them. they just don&#39;t come with the shiny box which you would get if you bought it from most shops.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    there are also other slight differences like parts supplied, but the hardware components itself are the same,
    e.g with athlon xp procesors the retail ones come with a cpu cooler.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    generally you don&#39;t get a warranty with oem parts either

you just have to decide if you&#39;re gaining enough when taking into account the lack of warranty against the price drop...
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>