Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Tonight

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    When are scans done?

You'll probably be offered two NHS ultrasound scans in pregnancy. Scans performed before eight weeks are usually done vaginally, using a special probe, to allow a clearer picture of the tiny baby while later scans are all done using a scanner on the bump.

* Dating scan at 8-12 weeks - the sonographer takes some basic measurements of your baby, for example from the top of his head to the end of his bottom (crown/rump measurement) in order to calculate how many weeks old he is, and therefore, your due date. Dating scans tend to be done before 13 weeks as they are less accurate after this. However, there can still be a discrepancy in your own date and that confirmed by the scan in which case you may have a range of time, for instance between 12th and 20th July, in which your baby is due. This can prove important later on if you go overdue and your obstetrician starts suggesting induction! Major abnormalities, such as limb deformities, may also be picked up at this stage, depending on the quality of the equipment and the experience of the sonographer.
    * 18-22 weeks anomaly scan - this is the main scan at which the sonographer takes a much more detailed look at your baby. She takes various measurements to check that your baby's growth is 'on track' and looks for conditions such as cleft lip and palate, spina bifida, plus any abnormalities of the brain, heart and other organs. She'll also count all your baby's fingers and toes just to be on the safe side!
    http://www.babyworld.co.uk/informati...ound_scans.asp

2. Lounge   -   #42
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    They do one scan around 16 weeks now. This allows for dating and checking for any anomalies.

It's only changed recently because my boss had her baby in April and she was offered 2 scans. Then they changed it. True story.

3. Lounge   -   #43
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Socialized health care, ftw.

-bd

4. Lounge   -   #44
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    It's not the same in every primary healthcare trust, I can assure you.

5. Lounge   -   #45
    CrabGirl's Avatar Sexpest
    Three of my friends are at the end of their pregnancy and they've each had two scans. Devon FTW!!!
    One of them had one of those new 3d scans. THe baby looked like tutenkahmen. True story.
    Last edited by CrabGirl; 07-29-2008 at 02:56 PM.
    This pump dispenses gasoline, a fossil fuel. People who believe fossils are not real should put something else in their tanks.

6. Lounge   -   #46
    Chip Monk's Avatar Darth Monk Like.
    Health is one of the devolved issues so there may be differing policies in Scotland.
    You do not need to see my I.D.

7. Lounge   -   #47
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    The big bang hasn't occurred here.

-bd

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345