Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the perfect pc fpr torrents/filesharing

lukee's Avatar Suit up!
    I found and old Pentium 4 in my bros room and upgraded the HDD from 50GB to 320GB and swapped the old network card for a more recent one. Then I created a custom windowsXP iso (WiNXP2P ). It had a good defragmenter app, utorrent, firefox, Fillezilla FTP server and the UtorrentWEBUI. Everything else got stripped Its in my closet connected my my rooms router with an ethernet cable. All I have to do is remote desktop to it (it doesnt have a screen ).

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    any pc that can run linux without gui + rtorrent will be fine... at least 512mb ram... and of course a sata dedicated raid card (pci express... so a recent mobo too...) to be able to mount at least 5x1tb drives

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Poster
    thanks for your support and tips!!!!

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    n00b
    you don't need a new computer for torrenting/filesharing. some of the best dedicated computers I've seen for bittorrent are 8-10 years old running linux and seeding 24 hours per day, 365 days per year. A new computer should be set up for everything else you want to do, and then leave the old one dedicated to torrenting.
    DO NOT SPAM ME FOR INVITES, unless I have offered you one. anybody I don't know who PM's me asking for an invite will be reported to FST staff for spamming me. SPAMMERS are assholes!

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Giallorosso's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I think torrenting basically need a huge HD drive to seed ur old torrents and for having some space for ur own files .
    i have 320 giga and it's not enough for one tracker ,.....

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    CPC464's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by slimdogp View Post
    Large HD's of course

I think an often overlooked part of the setup is a nice router! With all the simultaneous connections required by torrents and p2p, and good router is essential. May I suggest the wrt54gl by linksys and flash it with the 3rd party dd-wrt firmware.

The GeForce 9500 I think is a pretty good video card chipset for the cost. I'm not an expert there, so shop around though

GL
    100% correct i am now on my third router and have splashed out this time, burnt the last two out.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Groovy's Avatar MY INSPIRATION BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    of course Huge disk space and good ventilated casing

" edarT ot gnihtoN evaH I "
    I Hate to trade my Personal Information for a Tracker

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    saimer's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    A dedicated torrent PC would be very useful.
    Get another one for general use, i.e. game, movie, music, daily stuff.
    As many suggested, the dedicated PC with unix/linux setup (try FreeBSD) + rtorrent will be enought. My friend spent $50 on a used PC from company (P4 backbone), only invested on 2x 500g HDD, used for torrenting and firewall. It did help a lot on his ratio when seeding 7/24 at crap connection.
    I may do the same thing when have extra money, or rent a seedbox for a month or two.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Torrenting only demands big HDD. Some old Pentium 3 with XP will do the job, or some Linux. If you want something new them Intel has nice low cost solutions with integrated GPU + some Celeron (of course only if you use PC only for torrents). I belive there are similar stuff from AMD. I was thinking about building one PC for torrenting but don't have place to put it.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    saimer's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vodopija View Post
    Torrenting only demands big HDD. Some old Pentium 3 with XP will do the job, or some Linux. If you want something new them Intel has nice low cost solutions with integrated GPU + some Celeron (of course only if you use PC only for torrents). I belive there are similar stuff from AMD. I was thinking about building one PC for torrenting but don't have place to put it.
    Talking about space to put a new PC, Dell new studio hybrid desktop is such a beauty.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast