Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking?

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    i've heard people overclocking video cards and stuff. wat is that? wat does it do? does it work on a gforce fx 5200 128mb w/tv out? help a fellow hardware noobie out.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    overclocking is basically increasing the core and/or memory speeds on a video card to increase performance

you can do it with a software app or reg tweak normally

because you're stressing the card more, you may void the warranty on the card

overclocking can yield good performance increases when done in moderation, however, if you do it too much, you could permanently damage the video card

overclocking should work on any card
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@20 August 2003 - 00:49
    overclocking is basically increasing the core and/or memory speeds on a video card to increase performance

you can do it with a software app or reg tweak normally

because you&#39;re stressing the card more, you may void the warranty on the card

overclocking can yield good performance increases when done in moderation, however, if you do it too much, you could permanently damage the video card

overclocking should work on any card
    thanks. ok, how do u overclock a gforce fx 5200?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Download riva tuner, install it and you can tweak it with that.,

Riva tuner is great...

http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    have a look here
    it seems they had trouble overclocking a certain part of the fx5200

however, to overclock, you should download an app like RivaTuner

edit: beaten

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    so overclocking enhances the memory on the video card, but can damage the card? cuz i bought mine from a oem comp manufacturer, and i have a 3 year warrenty. if it breaks, they will replace it. but it can damage the card? and how do u do it, just follow onscreen instructions? is there a guide or something?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    you can do damage to the card
    if the manufacturers find out you&#39;ve tried to verclock the card, they may not replace it under warranty

the actual overclocking process is fairly simple, there is more info at the link adamp2p provided here

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    i bought the comp from www.ibuypower.com. they buy oem parts and sell prebuild pcs with the oem parts. i think that if i say that the video card got messed up, they might be too dumb to know that it&#39;s overclocked, unless there&#39;s a way to tell.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    When you overclock the card it gets EXTREMILY HOT so if the card is burned is because of Overclocking or that you put the card in the oven&#33;&#33;

THats an easy way to know&#33;

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    wat if i put one of those pci slot fans in between the video card and some other card?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast