Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think Im gonna upgrade my CPU?

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    ATM in my main rig I have the Quad Q6600 I got it when it was still pretty new and the FSB is 1066 but I want to upgrade to 1333 FSB do you guys think I should Drop $330 to get the Q9450 or what? For those of you that don't know my rig yet here are the specs

Gigabyte Ga X38 DQ6 Mobo

Q6600 running @ 3.0 (33
    °)24/7

Evga 8800GT

6 gigs of G Skill 1000 ram

A gang of HDD's

Anyway do you guys think it's worth it or should I wait a while or what? Most of you know me pretty well and know how I am so any input will be awesome, Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    you could either wait for nehalem, or if you prefer gaming the e8500 just dropped in price and you can pretty much overclock that beast past 4ghz with ease
    thank you sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Think Im gonna upgrade my CPU?
    Is this a poll.

I'd upgrade, myself, but Mrs. J won't give up the Intel machine, and I'm stuck with an X2.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    The primary question is: What is the current CPU NOT doing and why would a slightly higher FSB solve the problem?
    Although I've heard the 9450 is a sweetheart chip (my experience being limited to it's lesser brother, the 9300), my sense is that it's a major upgrade from an Athlon or even a dual core Intel but only a baby step up from the 6600...especially one clocked like yours.
    You may-no, will- see better benchmark scores but I'm doubtful that it'll knock your socks off in day to day usage.

For that kind of jolt I suspect you'll have to wait for the Nehelem.

So, basically it gonna come down to money.
    If you can afford to splash out $330 for what will essentially be a one year upgrade, then go for it.
    Otherwise, start saving the pennies for the big change in nine months or so.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    BANNED BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    HELL NO, ARE YOU RETARDED?

At least wait for Nehalem. Usually I see questions such as these paired up with "will my cpu be a bottleneck?", but your cpu if perfectly fine with that 8800gt and it makes no sound dropping that $$$ for a little performance gain.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Maybe you should REALLY wait for the Westmere

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Retarted....um, no. I am however a whore for needing the next best thing. I think I will wait for these newer chips anyone have any Idea when they are due out??

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Retarted....um, no. I am however a whore for needing the next best thing. I think I will wait for these newer chips anyone have any Idea when they are due out??
    Well, it would seem (as Clocker has pointed out) that the chip you currently have is indeed "next best".

Problem solved, I'd say.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Semantics FTW!
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Semantics FTW!
    It's all we have, really.

That, and mathematics.

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast