Thread: Change Vista To Xp Pro

amie654
    I bought a new computer and it came with Vista and I have had nothing but trouble with it. I cant get most of the stuff I was running to work. I bought a new copy of Windows XP Pro and would like to change to that as that is what I had before and everything worked OK. This new computer has a 9 in 1 card reader and I would like to know if XP has a driver for it or will I have to try to find one? Thanks to anyone who can help.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Your cardreader will be recognized as a generic "removable disk" device ( actually, nine seperate disks) by XP and should function just fine. All the driver would do is name the "drives" by the type of card they read.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I have switched from Vista to XP for many many friends and family. The only problem I ever had was on a Sony Vaio Laptop where they actually didn't make drivers for XP for a few of the buttons located on the laptop ( Play Rew FF ETC.) As Clocker said it will certainly recognise the card reader with no worries. Other than that you should have no problems at all Good luck. Post back and let us know how it went.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    The only problem I ever had was on a Sony Vaio Laptop ...
    Sony's are the most absurdly proprietary PCs on the market and even using Sony supplied drivers is no guarantee that things will work.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on one.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    i think xp will load generic drivers for most everything you have on the pc...the only thing you may want to look into is a driver for your wireless card

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Sony's are the most absurdly proprietary PCs on the market and even using Sony supplied drivers is no guarantee that things will work.
    Yeah but he was a real good friend and during an impulse buy he paid around $2200 for the piece of crap too

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post

A neighbour of ex-Mrs Chewie needs his Viao looking at because he didn't like losing at online poker and it's riddled with viruses and other shit.
    The CDRW drive is also non-functional and I can't find a UK vendor for one but the total cost is gonna make this an uneconomical repair, as they say in the car insurance trade.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008