Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probs with Security Suites: NOD32 and Avira

I was looking for a good security suite.
    First I installed NOD32 Security Suite.
    After installation, I realized there was no exit feature. All applications have an exit feature. There was no way to shut it down/turn it off. It could not close.
    If anybody knows how to shut it down, please let me know.

I uninstalled NOD32, and installed Avira Security Suite. Same exact problem. There is no way to exit.

Have I gone blind, or do these security suites really have no way of shutting down. I can exit any bloody game or application. Typically by hitting File -> Exit. Neither of these 2 have exit feature.

Is there any good low-footprint Security Suite that is actually normal and has the option to close?
    Last edited by cool skill; 08-09-2008 at 10:44 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    You are not going blind cool skill most suites and a lot of antiviruses cannot be completely shut down so as to keep them as secure as possible.
    You can disable features in the Eset setup menu but you have to uninstall to stop it running completely.

For suites you have mentioned the top two in my opinion already.

KIS is great for malware but the firewall is somewhat weak and the reverse is true for Agnitum.
    You can disable Agnitum though I believe.

BitDefender is solid and I've heard that it isn't nearly as heavy as it use to be but I can't swear to that fact.

Zone Alarm and Norton are both resource hogs of that I'm certain.Same with McAfee and it's the shits.

My recommendation would be to stick with ESS or Avira unless you're really having problems.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    The problem is really the exit and startup situation.
    For example, with my instant messanger.

I can set my IM app to launch automatically during system start up or I can set it to launch when I manually double-click the icon. Like security apps, the IM app runs in the background remaining in the system tray regardless of how it is launched.

Furthermore, if my IM app is running, I can shut it down completely by simply exiting it. No need to uninstall my IM app in order to turn it off.

Though Avira and NOD32 have had some good reviews, I would like a security suite that can do like my IM app, and completely shut down and launch the way I want it to. All applications on my computer allow me to open and close them anytime I want.

Other than that, important security features: firewall, active virus/malware monitoring, scheduled virus/malware scanning, low footprint/doesn't hog resources.

Thanks!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Although KIS can be exited or the protection paused/resumed from the right-click menu of the systray icon, it'll only start in paused mode at system start if the pause period (up to 5 hours) hasn't yet expired.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    KIS can be exited completely like the instant messanger example? What about launching? Is there a setting that allows you to choose between system startup launch or regular manual launch?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    If you can shut down a security suite, then so can a virus/malware. If that's the case, you may as well have no security software installed in the first place.

Security suites are only of any use when they are running permanently. Viruses can get onto your pc and install themselves as if they were part of the operating system. That way they can prevent the security system from detecting them and it is a feature of some of the nastier viruses. The only way to prevent that is to stop the virus getting installed in the first place.

If you are going to disable your antivirus software I suggest you don't even bother to install a security system at all, you would just be wasting your time.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Why is it a waste of time?
    Sure it's important to keep security running for the most part, but there are times when you do not need security running on the system.
    Just because there are times when you need to shut down your security system doesn't mean you shouldn't install one at all, and keep it running in order to be safe.

If there is any malware/virus that could shut the Security Suites down, the security suite might be able to recognize it before it can do anything.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Fine, have it your own way.

All these stupid security suite suppliers didn't reckon on someone of your intellect coming along and figuring out their little game.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Yes, KIS can be shut down simply by right-clicking the systray icon and selecting Exit but it will start up again upon next login.
    It also has a Pause protection option on it's menu which brings up a selection box:
    Resume in: dropdown box to select from 1 minute to 5 hours. KIS will be paused upon reboot if it's within this time-frame.
    Resume on reboot: protection is resumed on next system boot.
    Resume manually: protection will not be resumed automatically - you have to right-click the systray icon and select Resume protection.

I find it useful to pause KIS when installing some software or updating drivers since it won't then be slowing down the process. I disconnect from the internet when I do this just in case even though I'm behind a NAT router & firewall.

Lynx is right though, having security switched off by default isn't a good thing; just one forgetful moment is all a rootkit might need to hook itself into a system.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I agree that it is important to set security to stay on by default. But the default should be the option of the user. Only low level users have no need to shut off security apps, so I guess they just leave that option out. Those who do tweaking, troubleshooting, development, and more advanced computing sometimes need to shut down all running apps including security.

I will consider KIS. I've decided to stick with Avira PSS for now. It seems to be working well without interfering with installations or anything. Avira does prevent me from setting up a static IP, but that is not an issue regearding its inability to shut down. I need my static IP working while my security suite is running.

Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Fine, have it your own way.

All these stupid security suite suppliers didn't reckon on someone of your intellect coming along and figuring out their little game.
    What little game are you talking about?
    You made the claim that it is pointless to have security software installed if you are going to shut it down anyway when you are doing troubleshooting.

There are times when troubleshooting a computer, it is necessary to shut off any running security apps and other running apps. Learn a little about computer repair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast