Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: bsod with no stop error

  1. #1
    kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,280
    i recently got a bsod without an stop error on one of my old machines

    any ideas?

    could a hdd jumper setting be to blame?

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    Well at this point anything could be to blame. You are going to need to give specs and hopefully have an arsenal of parts to swap out.

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,280
    asus a7n8x-e deluxe
    amd athlon xp 3000+
    1gb pny ddr400
    hdd western digital 60gb (jumper is still set to master because there was previously another drive in the pc but i took that one out)

    i can provide whatever more specs you need. i hadn't booted this pc for about 6 months but i needed to retrieve a file from it so i turned it on and yeah....bsod after a few minutes.

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    If all you need is to get a file out you can remove the HDD and plug it in to your current rig and get it that way. Then try a clean install of the OS that should work.

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    If all you need is to get a file out you can remove the HDD and plug it in to your current rig and get it that way. Then try a clean install of the OS that should work.
    i think what caused the bsod was this...

    as i was browsing files on the pc i did a windows search for another file. once the search results came up i tried to access the file and up came the bsod. when i booted the computer again and performed the search again i realized that the path led to local disk F. i had removed local disk F from that pc quite some time ago. i think what happened was that the machine tried to access a file on a drive that no longer exists hence the bsod

    any thoughts?

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    That alone shouldn't cause the Blue Screen. It should say something like this disk is not accessible or the like

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    That alone shouldn't cause the Blue Screen. It should say something like this disk is not accessible or the like
    yeah that true

    i really have no clue as to what caused it

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Acid_death69's Avatar confuddled?!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hudders' / Middlesbrough
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by kooftspc11 View Post
    asus a7n8x-e deluxe
    amd athlon xp 3000+
    1gb pny ddr400
    hdd western digital 60gb (jumper is still set to master because there was previously another drive in the pc but i took that one out)

    i can provide whatever more specs you need. i hadn't booted this pc for about 6 months but i needed to retrieve a file from it so i turned it on and yeah....bsod after a few minutes.
    why dont you just take the HDD and put it in a new machine then get the file?

    My name is Dan for the people who care!

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid_death69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kooftspc11 View Post
    asus a7n8x-e deluxe
    amd athlon xp 3000+
    1gb pny ddr400
    hdd western digital 60gb (jumper is still set to master because there was previously another drive in the pc but i took that one out)

    i can provide whatever more specs you need. i hadn't booted this pc for about 6 months but i needed to retrieve a file from it so i turned it on and yeah....bsod after a few minutes.
    why dont you just take the HDD and put it in a new machine then get the file?
    ive done that already

    im just wondering what may have caused the problem

  10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    8,120
    Well to address your initial post I don't think a HDD jumper could cause it unless you changed it. My opinion as to why this happened.... Ghosts man, ghosts. I am having my share of them ATM. Did you do a clean install to see if things are working properly now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •