Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: In Essence

Sextent's Avatar Version Five
    I agree with this

Quote Originally Posted by Disme View Post
    Seriously ... the Lounge died, or will die due to the fact there not many regulars/senior members still posting in the lounge, and the new(er) members that dare to step into the Lounge are professionally ignored by some of the regular Lounge posters.

Just check it out, if you read through a lot of the posts in the Lounge you can see certain (older) members just react to other (older) members and completely ignore other people's postings.

They are free to do so off course but I think that is one of the reasons why the Lounge is/will die.
    However there are a couple of things I would take exception to.

1. People aren't "professionally ignored" that's just nonsense. They are systematically ignored.

2. So what, surely it's my right (and everyone else's) to reply to what I want to. Or indeed who I want to. That's certainly what I do and intend to continue doing. If new people come along who are interesting (it does happen) I will react to them.

3. Why should I, or anyone else, pander to people posting nonsense. It's their prerogative to post it. It's mine to ignore it. That's kind of the deal.

4. This whole "dare to step into the Lounge" thing is hackneyed tripe. It's an internet forum, not a bar in Sherringham. Or have the young of today grown overly sensitive to the written word. I find that doubtful.

5. If people join this forum to trade invites, then decide to have a nice chat they aren't really my cup of tea. So I ignore them or tell them to fuck off. I genuinely don't see that as being unreasonable.

6. People move on, shit happens. That's how the World works.

When I say "a couple" I mean "a few" obviously. Actually more than a few but I paired it down.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I'm usually engaged in some sort of mild conversation with someone or perhaps posting for the benefit of another and thus usually skip over the "i want the monies. close dis thread! " drivel.

I don't even see that many new people posting in the Lounge to be honest.

yo

3. Lounge   -   #3
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Older members respond to older members because they tend to know (or know something of) the said members.

It's human nature. People are generally somewhat stand-offish in the beginning and tend to gravitate to those whom they are familiar with.

The more someone new posts in the lounge, the more chance there is of garnering a response from older members. Be it positive or otherwise.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    And the lounge won't die, it'll just change.

That's the way its always been.

Somebody sees little activity for a couple of days then declares the Lounge dead.

Bollocks say I.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I maybe overreacted in saying the Lounge is dead, but I just wanted to draw the attention on some things I’ve noticed since i’ve been visiting the board on a regular base.

I have to admit there are a lot of retards or should I call them intellectually challenged people that visit FST. Most of them come because they want to score this or that invite to a new/old private tracker.

I won’t deny it, that’s why I came here when I first signed up. The invite section is what FST is mostly known for, not it’s Lounge or any other section of the board. It is the BT-section, where all the Bittards reside.

Quote Originally Posted by Sextent View Post
    5. If people join this forum to trade invites, then decide to have a nice chat they aren't really my cup of tea. So I ignore them or tell them to fuck off. I genuinely don't see that as being unreasonable.
    You are correct, but there are some people that consider every member that started out in the BT-section, and later decides to go to the Lounge, to be Bittards and just ignore them completely. And it doesn’t matter if they post anything intelligent, funny or stupid or retarded.

Not every Lounge-regular is like that. I’ve met a lot of other FST-members that have been here for a long time, with 4000+ posts, that were always friendly and even encouraged newer members to post in the Lounge.

Anyway … I’m not losing sleep over this and/or anything else that happens on the internet. I’ve grown up in an era where PC’s weren’t obvious and internet wasn’t a common good as it is nowadays.
    Can you feel the LOVE

6. Lounge   -   #6
    The invite section is what FST is mostly known for, not it’s Lounge or any other section of the board. It is the BT-section, where all the Bittards reside.
    Which is a shame because it used to be known as a place where people went to discuss file sharing and prior to that k-lite. That was back in the day tho' and times change.

You are correct, but there are some people that consider every member that started out in the BT-section, and later decides to go to the Lounge, to be Bittards and just ignore them completely. And it doesn’t matter if they post anything intelligent, funny or stupid or retarded.
    That's their choice to make, just as it's other people's choice to post whatever they want. Freedom of expression must include freedom to ignore others.

The point is that if people want to post in the lounge they may, it's a very free place with few rules. The fact that other people chose not to respond to them is equally their right.

That only seems fair to me and I genuinely can't understand why anyone would have any complaint about it.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    That's their choice to make, just as it's other people's choice to post whatever they want. Freedom of expression must include freedom to ignore others.

The point is that if people want to post in the lounge they may, it's a very free place with few rules. The fact that other people chose not to respond to them is equally their right.

That only seems fair to me and I genuinely can't understand why anyone would have any complaint about it.
    I don't disagree with you, but I was just pointing out that this could be the reason why the Lounge will eventually be completely deserted.
    Can you feel the LOVE

8. Lounge   -   #8
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I agree with both of you (Disme and Sextent) if that makes the least sense.
    I will add that I only really mind when new people are only posting to seek the approval of the veterans and while at the same time devaluing their peers.
    The familiarity argument doesn't hold water then. They are only looking to gain another level just like in the invite section.

9. Lounge   -   #9

I don't disagree with you, but I was just pointing out that this could be the reason why the Lounge will eventually be completely deserted.
    Who cares, it's The Lounge. Like you implied earlier it doesn't really matter.

In any case if it becomes deserted it's because the people who previously wanted to use it don't any more. If new people do, good for them. If not, that's kind of natural selection, with the members being the mutating alleles.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I agree with both of you (Disme and Sextent) if that makes the least sense.
    I will add that I only really mind when new people are only posting to seek the approval of the veterans and while at the same time devaluing their peers.
    The familiarity argument doesn't hold water then. They are only looking to gain another level just like in the invite section.
    External validation you think.

Great point.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast