Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: turning my home computer into a seedbox

alright i think i know how to set up a "seedbox" from my computer at home, but how do i transfer the files that i've got off torrenting from my seedbox computer to my computer here at school? And will it be really slow transfering them? Thanks again for everyones help.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    BANNED BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Guy do you have ultra fast pipe?

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Eargasm's Avatar Whoa BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by ukbballrulez33 View Post
    alright i think i know how to set up a "seedbox" from my computer at home, but how do i transfer the files that i've got off torrenting from my seedbox computer to my computer here at school? And will it be really slow transfering them? Thanks again for everyones help.
    If you are at home now, go to speedtest.net and check your upload speed. It will be that slow to retrieve the files you downloaded, or even slower if that connection is already bogged down seeding.

In my scenario, I'd setup an FTP server and transfer that way. Others might recommend setting up a share; however, I'm pretty sure you can't use windows sharing when you don't have a pass set.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Bionic's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Weather this stuff you could do:

RapidShare .. If you don't have FTP
    FTP .. Best
    Remote Control - Drag
    Twitter: @alhassoni
    Stay tuned. I could say something brilliant at any moment.

DL Speed: 1MBps | UL Speed: 228KBps

Speaks: English, Arabic, German, Tagalog(Filipino), Spanish and Chinese

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Bionic View Post
    Remote Control - Drag
    I'm not so sure. I pay a little extra and my upload is blazing fast. It'd be worth it for me. Although, there is no way I'd use it all the time. I'd probably become a usenet/ftp junky like I was before BT.

Also, I was reading up a little bit more about that Hamiachi and it looks pretty cool. Remote Access and Network Drives/Files.
    Last edited by Eargasm; 08-16-2008 at 01:32 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    predateur's Avatar .ıllılı.ıl.lı. BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by jokzor View Post
    you should lookout for the following software
    realvnc
    hamachi
    peerguardian

those are all that you need to get started up
    u install hamachi on both computers, and you must take a note of the ip at the home seedbox
    then you install the realvnc server on the seedbox, and the full client in yours, u connect to the box using her hamachi ip, and ur ready to go
    then u try install peerguardian and u will gonna leave him there cause it's useful

further u might think about completely formating the box hard drive and install only the essencial stuff, having a computer on 24/7 may bring connectivity problems some times, heat and others i dont remember now, you will want it the cleanest and neatest possible, and with one or few tools for benchmarking and checking hardware temperature (then look for lavalys's everest)
    or make it easy :
    just install TeamViwer on both , you can control your home PC, and also you can use it as FTP
    Vectoral FTW!

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    what is ftp?

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    predateur's Avatar .ıllılı.ıl.lı. BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    what is ftp?
    File Transfer Protocol , to transfers data from PC to another PC.
    Vectoral FTW!

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    and how do i get ftp? do i have to download it? or should it be a part of the netmeeting or whatever software i use to connect to my home computer?

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    FTP daemon, or server, needs to be installed on your host machine. FTP client runs on the client machines and connects to the server. Files can be xsferred back and forth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FTP_servers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_FTP_clients

Remember that on the server side, if you are behind a router/firewall, that you forward your ports accordingly.

The other option, the hamiachi, looks terribly easy though. And I wouldn't discredit other options mentioned here either.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast