Thread: Best laptop for school?

maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    Im going to University, 1st year, and Im in need of a laptop but dont know what to get. Im leaning towards the Lenovo IBM T61. Maybe somebody could have advice on a solid laptop that will get carried around a lot. I chose the T61 because it has a 15 inch screen, I've read a few good reviews about its build, and it falls within my budget of under $1000.

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Your lucky as some good back to school deals are coming out . I 'm looking for my son . A good link for prices is at A-linx .Fom 399.00 to 2999.00 CND . My boys a gamer so I expect to pay a lil more than mid range .

http://www.alinx.ca/displayproducts....Notebook&id=17

Made me think , what O/S I'll put in ? You have to be careful as some makes refuse to support Windows XP just Vista . It can be done ( drivers ) but a lot of hoops to jump .
    Last edited by peat moss; 08-21-2008 at 09:21 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    The price range for that category shouldn't exceed $1200, cuz you don't need avid graphics, now do you?!

Dell offers a very good collection>>>
    the inspiron 1520 and the new studio lineups are just amazing, and they're available in a dozen colors....

Another choice would be the Sony Vaio CR series....

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    I went with HP pavillion dv 6000

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    for school? definitely Asus EEE 1000H

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    n00b BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    i ThINk u go fr Hp Pavalion 6000 series...it woulD Be GooD...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    chico
    T61 shall be your first choice,
    965 platform, T8300 or higher processor, wifi and bluetooth, with Classic designs, meet the needs of learning and entertainment. The defects of the T61 is the harddisk is in the lower right corner just where put the Right wrist.
    If you are engineering people, Lenovo K41AT7250 with RS232 and fingerprint identification.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Whatever you do .. ASUS >

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    TBH as a student myself I found my laptop to be a hinderence rather than an aid... for the same price go build yourself a desktop google if you need to know how to, or if prospect too daunting find a local pc store - not pc world or big chain small store will give you much better offers and build your deskop to the spec you request for very little, if this option is unavailable then pc world etc is your best bet