Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about getting a Usenet account, questions on security.

222MHz's Avatar Poster
    On the throttling... I'm pretty sure they've throttled us down a lot.. Anyone gone about getting it removed?

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 222MHz View Post
    On the throttling... I'm pretty sure they've throttled us down a lot.. Anyone gone about getting it removed?
    Because it's your ISP there isn't much you can do about it.
    The only thing you can try is getting an Usenet provider that offers more connections. It might be that they are throttling the speed of a single connection from your line, while they aren't throttling the overall connection speed of your line.

If it's an overall throttle they may release it if you download less over a period of time. None the less, I would call them and bitch. They'll probably swear up and down that they aren't doing it, but at least you'll feel better.

Be sure that it isn't your Usenet provider.
    I've had problems with Usenet providers before like Usenethosting and PowerUsentServer not being able to provide me the service I was paying for (overselling their lines).
    Last edited by Broken; 08-23-2008 at 05:05 AM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    222MHz's Avatar Poster

Look at the graph... from 1.3 down to 200.. Who do you thinks to blame?

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    I don't know what program that is....
    Even if I did, it's hard to say. It's easy to try a new Usenet provider thou. Just sign up for a free trial at Giganews (the best) and see if your speeds increase. If they do, it was your Usenet provider.

BTW
    who are you using right now?

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    222MHz's Avatar Poster
    Sipping off the roommates easynews via NNTP. The window I posted was my system monitor.. (Like a task manager I think the others call it)

I'm going to be grabbing a giganews account within a couple of weeks..

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    NZB Looter
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    I'm on a cable line too, 20mbps from Insight Cable.
    They will have no idea what you are downloading, there will be no cease and desist letters. That would be impossible, the copyright holders CANNOT connect to you. Usenet really isn't p2p, you connect to no one. The usenet providers don't even monitor what you download, only if you choose to upload something - they have to cover their asses.

Like I said above,
    your ISP doesn't give a shit what you download. They only care about the amount of what your downloading. And if they view that has excessive they may throttle you, or like they did in my case, cut off your service.
    But did they really cover their ass? Notice that many stuffs are still available on their server.

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    You don't even need encryption unless your ISP is doing traffic shaping, it's illegal and considered wire-tapping, for them to try and actually see what you are downloading. It's just meant to disguise the type of traffic. Plus it's not their job to actively try and enforce the copyrights of others.

Although,
    In my case I have found out that it really pisses my ISP off when I download half a TB or so a month. They shut off my connection and told me I had a virus... lmao.

There is no way the MPAA/RIAA can track your traffic. There is no point of interception, like with p2p where they can pose as a normal user and monitor traffic. You are on a direct connection to a server farm.

No one has ever been sued for downloading from Usenet.
    Half a TB??? where the hell do you store it man? Storage farms?

And I do believe Usenet.com was sued by RIAA
    Nobody knows Nobody..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12