Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Margaret Thatcher P.m.

lynx's Avatar .
    Oh, and Scotland did rather well out of Maggie. An independant commision said that Scotland should receive an extra £2 billion per year (I believe it was for seven years) than would be calculated by population alone. When Maggie came to power a short time afterwards she said this was obviously a nonsense and doubled it to £4 billion, and didn't stop it when the time limit was up. But I don't suppose anyone wants to hear about that sort of investment.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    thatcher was & still is a nasty peace of work, she ruined the North by shutting down the steelworks & the pits & that is a lesson in how to destroy the biggest part of a country the North but we fought back & all we need to do know is get rid of Tory Blair & fat boy Prescott

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Originally posted by blade1356uk@4 September 2003 - 17:24
    thatcher was & still is a nasty peace of work, she ruined the North by shutting down the steelworks & the pits & that is a lesson in how to destroy the biggest part of a country the North but we fought back & all we need to do know is get rid of Tory Blair & fat boy Prescott
    But weren't they all losing money?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    There are 2 sorts of "Nationalised" industry, the money makers and the subsidised.

The money makers (eg BT, British Gas, Water Company's, Electricity etc etc) was where the money came for to pay for the money losers..( eg Coal, Steel, Post Office etc) this reduced the burden of subsidisation on the taxpayer.

Thatcher, in her infinite wisdom, decided that it was better to sell off the money makers cheap to her fat cat buddies...thereby increasing the burden on the country.

She then decided that it was econamical sense to pay vastly more in benefits than to keep the subsidies and so many of the big companies had to lay of 100,000s of people and the country was less self sufficient........(totally disregarding every lesson from histrory in her ideological frenzy)

With the money "saved" and the huge revenues from North Sea Oil and Gas, she paid for huge tax cuts for big business and the rich, rather than pay off the National Debt.......which she could have done by about 1986/7 with Gas/Oil revenues alone, if she hadnt gave all the money to her buddies, and been paying 3,500,000 dole wallas (2,500,000 more than when she came to power).

Her investment in public services was to cut the number of Tax Officers and Customs/Excise Officers (ie the ones that recovered £1,000,000s weekly from the rich) and increase the number of benefit fraud officers (ie the ones that wrote off £40 a time, rather than pay to prosecute). In additon her actions were such that under investment in Education and Health will take decades to rectify, even with todays relatively healthy economy.

She almost bankrupted the country, the national deficet in the mid 80's was more per MONTH than it had been annually in the 70's.....(and the 70's was devestating compared to before that)

Quite frankly, she sold the family silver.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    The only reason Thatcher destroyed the mining & steelworks was a little matter of a national strike in the early seventies when Heath was booted out & to answer the question no the british coalboard were not losing money or the british steel Thatcher made it impossible for these companys to trade by buying cheap produce from Holland (Coal) & steel from Asia Sheffield steel is the best in the world & will always be when the cheaper products have rusted away.I had my own business in the late 70s to the late 80s & Thatcher was shutting down business's faster than you could set up. I am no Miner or Steelworker but family & friends were & to see people losing their jobs & houses & business was no joke.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by lynx+22 August 2003 - 18:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 22 August 2003 - 18:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Neil__@22 August 2003 - 17:34
    A long term system of economic exploitation.
    Care to remember who voted for this &#39;long term exploitation&#39; ?
    Let me remind you.
    A damn sight more people than voted for the current shambles.

You should also remember that Maggie was not voted out of office by the public.
    Her policies were so popular that Labour could not even win with &#39;Mr Grey&#39; as leader of the Conservatives, it took another 4 years of his shambling nothingness before they could take power.

And don&#39;t be fooled into thinking that just because the current government has a large parliamentary majority that it is popular with the majority of the population, it is simply that the Conservative voters chose not to come out and vote, and more of the usual floaters voted Labour.

I suspect you are too young to remember the disastrous &#39;Winter of Discontent&#39; in 1979. I remember all too well the rubbish piling up in the streets, the mortuaries full because no-one would bury or cremate the bodies, no public transport, no mail etc. Far worse than anything we have seen since, but I have a feeling that we may see these scenes again in the not too distant future, [/b][/quote]
    Who said I support the present government?

And as i&#39;m 39 I do remember the winter of discontent and the run away power of the unions

I hear this argument all the time.

"The unions had too much power. so it&#39;s ok to strip every worker of ever right they have and turn them into slaves."

Thatcher tried to turn workers into slaves with no employee rights and at the same time gave employers all the power.
    she stripped the employers regulation to a point where workers had no right at all and if you sank then tough shit.
    She forgot one thing, not everyone can be an employer. so the ones that couldn&#39;t were screwed
    and if they didn&#39;t like it the tough. no rights no say.

anyone who harks back to the 70&#39;s and thinks that justifies turning the U.K.&#39;s workforce into slaves in retrobution hasn&#39;t lived in the area&#39;s of britain most affected by thatcherite policies.

How can you justify turning the formost leader in world patents (we have more patents filed than any other country) into a manufacturing economy based upon production line sweat shop economics.

O.K. it is good for the countries economy, but then again SLAVERY always is.

you fool yourself about the conservative voters.
    thet are the staubchest at the poles out of us all.

the conservative party is ruled by aged right wing idiots who still believe thatcher should be in power today. they don&#39;t vote because they don&#39;t exist

Neil

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    She even managed to sell off stuff the British Government didnt own...

Water Companies come to mind....the Water Companies were owned by the Ratepayer, not the Taxpayer.....ie Local Government.

She in effect Nationalised them and then sold em off in one go, leaving Local Government having to find those revenues from elswhere.

And most peoples water charges are STILL worked out on 1973 Ratable Values, despite these having been dumped in 1990 by the introduction of the Poll Tax. Every house converted to flats or vise versa since then have an "estimated" RV assigned to them (unless they fork out for a water meter)......these RV&#39;s have no relationship to what would have been given to them by the Valuation Office, but do generate huge profits for the Water Companies (being on average twice what they should be)

"But wouldnt it be sensible to charge on their Council Tax Band?"........well, yes it would. But of course they would then have a method of appealing their water bills, as they had prior to privatisation..........this wouldnt be right for a private company (probably owned by a French Company)

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Poster
    Rat,

We live in manchester and our community charge is £160 a month for 2 people in a one bed flat.

and as to the sell off&#39;s

How about the underground

One director paid £100 grand on shares and within a year those shares were worth £20Million

And north sea oil

wasn&#39;t that used to pay for 3 million unemployed in order to drive down wages.

When I was 15 a mate of mine was on 5 pound an hour in a factory
    He would be on £4.20 now 25 years later.

Now is that progress

the employers whinge that £4.50 would cripple their business
    if they cant pay a living wage they they have made profit from exploitation and don&#39;t deserve to continue.

These thatcherite slave drivers should be forced to realise her ideals are dead and get on with paying a proper wage not peanuts

Neil

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Hey, im on your side here....

Im not a christian, but i&#39;d have no problems with them burning this witch....

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Poster
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@5 September 2003 - 17:02
    Hey, im on your side here....

Im not a christian, but i&#39;d have no problems with them burning this witch....
    Well, You got a date in your dirary free?

Ill happily join you in a pint for her wake.

I know i get very imotive over a lot of things but
    Great Britain has a common enemy amd her legacy reigns on for a while
    and she&#39;s only a shop keepers daughter. and dodi al fiad ( the son of the Harrads Billionaire) was only a shop keepers son

I only wish the girl herself could realise the depth of loathing she is held under.
    without the excuse of "everyone hates a loser"

and to all those who use her voter support as a rescue remady
    Remember one thing thatcher manipulated the voting boundaries to such an extent that on her third term as premier she would have gotten 70 less seats if the voterate had been left in place.

Moving poor people from marginal seats to secure labour constituancies is corrupt.
    thay didn&#39;t move the voters just the boundaries

if that isn&#39;t voter manipulation

What is.

Neil,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast