Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Margaret Thatcher P.m.

Poster
    Has the world learnt it's lesson from Right Wing politics.

We cannot trust them.

Don't get me wrong I'm no whinging Liberal

Thatcher tried to turn Great Britain into a sweat shop.

A long term system of economic exploitation.

The economy was based on the financial irregularity of a no "Red Tape" policy
    i.e no regulation. What a sell out, The Banks without any regulation "We're screwed"

Then she paid millions to get middle eastern manufacturing industries to relocate to the U.K. and give jobs to all those who didn't work with the banks

Then when her people wouldn't take work (with no minimum wage rules) as low paid "semislaves" then she forced them to take any job available (i.e. in the factory that just moved in)

And if we hadn't moved her out then we all would be working for Lucky Goaldstar (Except the "Money People" and the Military.)

Don't take the risks

Never vote too right wing

You don't want the rich elite ruling your lives.

I won't let that happen again and I hope other countries will see the signs.

Neil.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    she also sank the belgrano
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Neil__@22 August 2003 - 17:34
    Care to remember who voted for this &#39;long term exploitation&#39; ?
    Let me remind you.
    A damn sight more people than voted for the current shambles.

You should also remember that Maggie was not voted out of office by the public.
    Her policies were so popular that Labour could not even win with &#39;Mr Grey&#39; as leader of the Conservatives, it took another 4 years of his shambling nothingness before they could take power.

And don&#39;t be fooled into thinking that just because the current government has a large parliamentary majority that it is popular with the majority of the population, it is simply that the Conservative voters chose not to come out and vote, and more of the usual floaters voted Labour.

I suspect you are too young to remember the disastrous &#39;Winter of Discontent&#39; in 1979. I remember all too well the rubbish piling up in the streets, the mortuaries full because no-one would bury or cremate the bodies, no public transport, no mail etc. Far worse than anything we have seen since, but I have a feeling that we may see these scenes again in the not too distant future,
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Margaret Hilda was latterly (and probably formerly) quite quite loopy. That is why, despite winning a landslide majority, the Conservative Party deposed her. There was no political reason to do so. The opinion polls were as good as could be expected for mid term and there were no obvious contenders for the job. Yet the Party grandees pulled the strings and out she went. The equivilant, for US readers, would be if Rumsfeld and Ashcroft decided to have Bush removed before the next election without consulting anyone other than senior Republican power brokers. There may even be no mechanism to do this in the US system but presumably they would only try if they considered the President had lost grip of reality.

Cue a lot of jokes here I guess - but he was misunderestimating things before they elected him.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    He was not elected. dont you remember the Florida fiasco. Anyway I thought it was Clinton that had he little miss under estimating.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by lynx+22 August 2003 - 17:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 22 August 2003 - 17:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Neil__@22 August 2003 - 17:34
    Care to remember who voted for this &#39;long term exploitation&#39; ?
    Let me remind you.
    A damn sight more people than voted for the current shambles.

You should also remember that Maggie was not voted out of office by the public.
    Her policies were so popular that Labour could not even win with &#39;Mr Grey&#39; as leader of the Conservatives, it took another 4 years of his shambling nothingness before they could take power.

And don&#39;t be fooled into thinking that just because the current government has a large parliamentary majority that it is popular with the majority of the population, it is simply that the Conservative voters chose not to come out and vote, and more of the usual floaters voted Labour.

I suspect you are too young to remember the disastrous &#39;Winter of Discontent&#39; in 1979. I remember all too well the rubbish piling up in the streets, the mortuaries full because no-one would bury or cremate the bodies, no public transport, no mail etc. Far worse than anything we have seen since, but I have a feeling that we may see these scenes again in the not too distant future, [/b][/quote]
    She was "popular" in South East Middle England and with the rich.

She did more to split the United Kingdom than any other person in history.

If you recall, the "Council of the North" was convened for the 1st time in 500 years, as she raped Scotland, Wales and Northern England in her policy to sell everything that wasnt nailed down (and some things that were) to her friends in the Private Sector, then using the money to give those same friends massive tax cuts.

She nearly died in a Bomb attack once.......It is the closest my community ever came to an "impulsive" street party, then we found she&#39;d survived.

Im sorry if i upset people, but there was a thread earlier about "Shooting your head of state"........this bitch was the person i was thinking off when i said..."In certain circumstances".

I am not given to extremes of emotion....the most is usually a dislike for someone or contempt.

This inhumane creature, however is one of the few people i have ever truly hated, with a passion....even to this day, a decade after she lost power.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    If you look at things a little more objectively, you will find that things were &#39;sold off&#39; to pay the massive debt inherited from the previous government. I can&#39;t remember the exact figures, but I seem to remember that the UK economy was in about position 57 in the world when she took over, and was in free fall.

Turning that around was no small feat, and yes, a lot of people got hurt in the process, but without it we would have had an economic situation similar to that in Argentina of late. As the saying goes, you can&#39;t make an omelette without breaking eggs.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by lynx@23 August 2003 - 16:38
    If you look at things a little more objectively, you will find that things were &#39;sold off&#39; to pay the massive debt inherited from the previous government. I can&#39;t remember the exact figures, but I seem to remember that the UK economy was in about position 57 in the world when she took over, and was in free fall.

Turning that around was no small feat, and yes, a lot of people got hurt in the process, but without it we would have had an economic situation similar to that in Argentina of late. As the saying goes, you can&#39;t make an omelette without breaking eggs.
    People aren&#39;t eggs though.

I agree she split the country into the haves and the have nots and totally fecked the economy at the same time.

Thatcherism was an unmitigated disaster for the whole country.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Lynx

I think you must be referring to something else. If the UK GDP had dropped to 57th in the world we would have had to have sold the Queen Mum off and lot of other stuff besides just to pay the electricity bills. I am not sure what that figure actually represents but by the time you get down to 57th you are looking at small countries like Sweden and Norway - possibly even some Second World countries. The UK is 4th in world in terms of GDP (and has been for some time). The US first, Japan second and Germany third, then I think it is France in fifth place.

The fundamental flaw in the MHT&#39;s philosophy was that the "Market" decides. This required that all support to "lame duck" industries be withdrawn and they compete on the open market. Fine in theory, but how do shipyards compete against government funded shipyards in Korea and Japan. The philosophy only works if everybody plays the game. A huge portion of our manufacturing industry died on the reefs of subsidised competition from abroad whilst Margaret played her fiddle. Even Freidman washed his hands of her.

Yes, we had workplace problems and strikes etc., - with nearly 20 years full employment peole had got complacement by 1972. However, overseas companies were not afraid to come here nor were they particularly afraid of the Unions - it was our senior and middle management that scared them.

Rat Face

Stop beating about the bush and say what you think&#33;
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    As I said, I can&#39;t remember the exact position, and I believe it was to do with economic health rather than just GDP, but from what I remember we came slightly behind Mexico&#33;

You also have to remember that if you are going to support your industries financially you have to have the money to put into them, but any excess money in the UK had to be used to repay the loans the previous government had taken from the World Bank, it was one of the conditions placed upon this country when the loans were made.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast