Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: gazelle RC1 released

lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1

Two weeks ago, we outlined the release schedule of the Gazelle source code, in relatively intricate detail. The plan was to release RC1 via controlled SVN access, and do a public source code release in a month or two.

Unfortunately, even the best laid plans often have to be scrapped on the fly, and replaced with more fitting alternatives. The overwhelming number of programmers requesting pre-pre-release SVN accounts has led to a great deal of people looking over the current code already, and the prospect of handing out hundreds more RC1 SVN accounts just to have the code leak onto RapidShare in a week was just too daunting for us to be bothered, and we scrapped that plan.

As of today, the Gazelle source code is publicly available to anyone who wishes to use it, under an in-house modified derivative of the GPL.

Currently, the only way to access the code is via SVN. The SVN address is http://svn.what.cd/repos/project_gazelle, and the username and password are both gazelle.

We would like to remind everyone that this is not the final 1.0 release - it is just the first release candidate. There are a number of changes that are on the list of things to be changed before 1.0. The most significant of these is the tracker - currently, gazelle uses xbtt as its tracker backend. We're in the final stages of coding a new tracker from scratch, dubbed "ocelot". Once ocelot is finished, there will be some modifications to the database schema.

Finally, we'd like to put in a word about security. There is a reason that we're the only high profile tracker to release their code in years - it is amongst the most dangerous things that any site can do, and the great number of enemies we've amassed during our 10 months of existance increases the risk all the more. We recognize the dangers involved, and have chosen to release the code nonetheless, because we believe that the BitTorrent community is more important than any individual site in it. We believe that the pros will outweigh the cons in this decision, and hope that people will use the code for constructive purposes, rather than childish hacking attempts. If our hopes are proven to be misguided and people take advantage of our generosity to exploit hidden little vulnerabilities in the codebase, we will simply remove the public SVN and stop maintaining the codebase outside of our site.

If you find a bug, please report it to a What.CD sysop in #gazelle on irc.what-network.net. The same channel can be used for asking questions and chatting about the codebase.

We hope to see a bunch of little baby gazelles popping up soon. Good luck.

this should be very interesting, to see how far coders will take it...

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    c0njur's Avatar ? BT Rep: +1
    I just saw this too, I cant wait to see more sites use gazelle.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    We have had it for a couple of days, I personally havnt even looked at it yet, but i believe my coders have. and i still do not know what we are going to do with it lol, I would be lieing if i said expect us to change in the next week, because i just dont know where we are going to go with this yet.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    becomehokage's Avatar AAARGH! BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    We have had it for a couple of days, I personally havnt even looked at it yet, but i believe my coders have. and i still do not know what we are going to do with it lol, I would be lieing if i said expect us to change in the next week, because i just dont know where we are going to go with this yet.
    Cant w8 for the new theme of bcg
    Im kay

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    I would love to see BCG goes Gazelle. I just love that layout.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    I perfer good old TBDev.

Don't get me wrong though, gazella is great...it can make any newbie site look professional.

It's just that i like to see tracker staff work their butt off editing TBDev...kinda shows the true potential of the site. Like, if they can come up with a decent outcome from TBDev (say layout, features etc) then the site is a win, easily. Elsewise, it fails.

Dunno if that makes any sense though.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well we have been giving the go ahead to mod it to our hearts content.

I have no idea if it will be easy or hard though to integrate things like the SP mod and the referal mod we have onto it, But those are wrote in OOP and so is gazelle seemingly, so it may be even easier than it was with TBdev. (btw i did not code either of those 2 mods we have, so thats why i have no idea lol)

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Grind$oFine's Avatar get n3rd3d BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    I would love to see Blackcats with Gazelle. If it doesn't work out, well no big deal - BCG is amazing.
    But I remember thinking when Gazelle first launched at What.CD that Blackcats could really benefit from it in many ways.
    Then, NTorrents was the second tracker to get Gazelle - and I really thought it worked nice with video games.
    Can't wait to see if something happens with it.

I believe Libble is going to be going Gazelle soon - I wonder which other established trackers may switch now that it's public. I would love to see BitMeTV and maybe a movie tracker... TC or Goem? KG maybe too? I think those would all be great. I have a feeling some trackers have staff wouldn't be interested in changing though.

I have a feeling - all the new trackers that come out using Gazelle are gonna have a much higher chance at surviving than they would without. Some may even get more support than the older trackers from members of the older trackrs. If there was a movie and/or tv tracker that emerged with Gazelle and a decent staff, people really might start putting some serious effort into it. Look at how abandoned BrokenStones is now that there are two new Gazelle Mac trackers...

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    lol thats a bit scary actually.

When i got the SVN for this, and passed it onto altinertia my coder, i asked him what he thought while he was still downloading it i might add.

His exact words were.

"maybe we can use it for the movie tracker first, and then change the game tracker after that"

now i am not saying that is or will happen, its just what he said about it.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Grind$oFine View Post
    public. I would love to see BitMeTV and maybe a movie tracker...
    I would also love to see this. Gazelle just seems more organized.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast